4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 12:24 PM by rodgerssouth

File Import Failure

rodgerssouth

This issue has begun to happen regularly.  I work on making a family video and all is going fine.  I save and come back to the project next day and close out  again after a while after saving my work. 

Next day, I try to open the file and I get, "File Import Failure"   Error message  -  This type of file not supported, or the required codec is not supported. 

The monitor panel is several shades of red with the notation, "media off-line" in ten different languages stacked on top of each other. 

I use a Canon Vixia HF M32 camcorder whick uses AVCHD.  Prior to the past several months, I have not had this problem.  What am I doing wrong?  What should I do to correct this?

Thank you,

George Rodgers

• 1. Re: File Import Failure
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you offer any more details? Like your operating system, your processor, how much free, defragmented space is on your C or main hard drive and if you are editing on one or a second or external hard drive?

• 2. Re: File Import Failure
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, if the files, that are giving you issues, have been previously Imported, something has changed.

First, see this ARTICLE on Media Offline, to see if anything applies there.

As for the AVCHD files, you should have the H.264 CODEC installed, if you were able to Import those. However, it is possible that your H.264 CODEC has become corrupted, or somehow removed from the system - CODEC's are installed at the system level for video editing.

1. What version of Apple's QuickTime Player do you have installed?
            2. Did you update it, or perhaphs iTunes recently?
            3. Have you installed any CODEC "packs?"
            4. Have you installed any new video editing programs, or any new hardware?
            5. Have you experienced any problems with your C:\ drive, like lost documents, etc.?

Wish I had more, but good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: File Import Failure
              rodgerssouth Level 1

Thanks so much for responding.  In reply, I am running Windows 7 (64bit) with Intel(R) core (TM) Quad CPU Q8300 @2.50 GHz.

I have my files on a WD external hard drive that has 219GB of free space.

My C drive has 810GB of free space.  It is very new as my old C drive failed two monhs ago.

My files are from my Canon camcorder and my daughter's Canon camcorder.  I imported both on to my C drive then put them on to the external drive and put them into a single file along with photos from my Sony Alpha DSLR.  Could I have corrupted the files with that movement? 

I really am somewhat of a neandertal at this, so your advice is greatly  appreciated.

George

• 4. Re: File Import Failure
                rodgerssouth Level 1

Thanks for your input.  In response to your questions:

1.  I have QuickTime version 7.7.2 installed. 

2.  It was updated May 17, 2012.

3.  I do not know what this means and of course whether I have done so.

4.  No new video editing hardware has been installed.  I did recently have a new hard drive installed and      fortunately, before the old one crashed, I  had put my files on an external drive.

5.  As noted in #4 above, I did lose some files, but these video and photo files were put on to my external drive.

I read the article you noted and will study it more.

Thank you for taking the time to help with this.

George