5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 4:48 PM by MrTIFF

3-up printing for press

ksig19

I have a small book I put out. The book is printed on a web press at 3 of the same pages at a time.  Until now I had an indesign file set up to have 3 of the same indesign files placed on a page....3-Up.  Is there an easier way to do this?  Make my book and tell it to PDF 3-up?essentially this is what I am trying to accomplish with each sheet but my lincoln heads are laying on their side.

• 1. Re: 3-up printing for press
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Maybe you know something I don't about PDF, but I don't have a clue how to export to 3-up from a 1-up page (but there are a lot of things I don't seem to know, lately).

In your shoes, I'd make the file one up, then make a new file big enough to hold 3 copies and use Scott Zanelli's script to place the 1-up file three times (run the scripot three times, changing the position), then export that to PDF. InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files

• 2. Re: 3-up printing for press
            ksig19 Level 1

Thank you Peter for the quick reply!  That is basically what I am already doing only without the script.  My book or rather each is 8x3.375.  I have made a template to import each of sheet 3 times on a page.  So the new template is 8x10.125 or something close.  Problem is that with each page containing 3 indesign files and the actual document being anywhere from 24 to 64 pages this REALLY starts to bog down my computer.  So if there is anyway to export from one to three up my computer won't be so bogged down when switching pages each month.

I looked at the printing booklet 3-up consecutive feature but unless I am doing it wrong it isn't doing the 3up I require.

Thanks again for you help!!!

BTW I am running Cs5

• 3. Re: 3-up printing for press
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm afraid I don't know any other method, unless the prepress people have an imposition script that can do it on their end. The script I mentioned makes it a breeze, though.

I don't know why placing the same file three times should be bogging things down. Waht are the specs on your machine? Do you have lots of cross-references, or GREP Styles?

• 4. Re: 3-up printing for press
                Quite CJ Level 1

If it's something you do all the time you could look at our Quite Imposing Plus. But, if you only do it once in awhile we might be overkill.

Here is a temporary number if you'd like to check it out for a test drive.

http://www.quite.com/imposing/download.htm

Quite Imposing Plus 3

Expires end 7/2012  Serial 0970-3435-0204-0517  Code 6794

cheers,

Charles

Quite Software

• 5. Re: 3-up printing for press
                  MrTIFF Level 3

Probably the need has long since passed, but IDImposer's "Replicate" mode can do what you want quickly and efficiently.

Happy to help you with any questions or issues that you run into.

Stephen, creator of IDImposer

http://idimposer.com