4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 5:04 PM by Bowzetto

How do I replace one graphic with another?

Bowzetto Level 1

Know this will sound really dumb  .  .  BUT:

I have a simple Avery mailing label page to print. It has 30 labels on it with a graphic [jpeg] in each label. I want to replace the original graphic with a different one.

The original graphic is on one layer [all 30 of the graphics]

I have imported the new graphic on another layer on the paste board. It is the correct size and doesn't need resizing.

How can I replace ALL 30 graphics at once with the new imported graphic from the paste board?

I did this once before and can't remember how to do it.

Tried the find & replace but can't get it to "find" the graphic. It has text options but no graphic finding capabilities. And can't figure out how to use the "object" choice. Or there's something I'm NOT doing right!!??!!

Any help will be MOST appreciated. I'm on a PC [InDesign CS3]

Ellen

• 1. Re: How do I replace one graphic with another?
          higgeldy-piggeldy

Hi Ellen,

If I needed to replace 30 links of the same image in one go I would be using the tools in the links panel and not the pasteboard to do this.

Selcting the image name in the panel and then clicking the chain icon will pop-up a dialogue box where you can select the replacement image file.

Paul

• 2. Re: How do I replace one graphic with another?
            Bowzetto Level 1

Hi Paul,

I tried your solution but guess I'm a bit confused. In the "links" panel, when I selected/highlighted ALL the graphics [30 JPEG's] and clicked the "relink" button/icon [there was no "link" button/icon] the relink dialog box opens and asks for the file to relink to [browse]. After selecting it, I have to keep hitting the "OK" button but nothing happens. If I select just ONE graphic to relink, I can select the new graphic to relink the original to and hey, it works. But how tedious selecting ONE at a time to change. There must be a way to select ALL 30 and make the change [relink] seamlessly. WHAH!!

I have left 9 of the graphics to "relink" if you can maybe give me more details on how to do this. I feel like such a dork .

higgeldy-piggeldy wrote:

Hi Ellen,

If I needed to replace 30 links of the same image in one go I would be using the tools in the links panel and not the pasteboard to do this.

Selcting the image name in the panel and then clicking the chain icon will pop-up a dialogue box where you can select the replacement image file.

Paul

Ellen

• 3. Re: How do I replace one graphic with another?
              higgeldy-piggeldy Level 1

Hi Ellen,

We've all been there, so not to worry.

I think it may be a limitation of CS3, if I cast my mind back, that you can't do this exercise with one click. With CS5 and CS6, multiple instances of the same file are grouped in the links panel to allow all to be updated in one click.

For CS3, once you have replaced one image you may find it easier and quicker to select the new image with the Direct Selection tool (white arrow in the tools panel), copy the image. Then switch to the Selection tool (black arrow in the tools panel) select one of the remaining boxes with the old image, right clicking (or control clicking) and choose Paste Into. Repeat this for each of the remaining boxes that need updating. This would possibly be quicker than using the links panel in these circumstances.

Paul

• 4. Re: How do I replace one graphic with another?
                Bowzetto Level 1

Howdy Paul,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help. Forums have always been so helpful and have used them since the mid 90's. It worked but as you can expect, was still tedious. But, hey  .  .  .  .

It's just I did it once where all the graphics were replaced at once. Just can't remember how I did it. It's a stupid mailing label for crying out loud!!!! 30 graphics, the same. Oh poo!

BTW, the graphic was an Angry Bird I created and since the new Space game, I really like Terence, the BIG GREEN BRO BIRD and wanted him on the label instead.

I used PageMaker for years and new it inside out. Been lazy in the learning process for ID. My bad

But again, THANKS!!!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.jpg

Ellen