3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 5:04 AM by B4stien

Extracting single pages out of InDesign documents

B4stien Level 1

Is it possible to extract or export single pages from an InDesign document?

So far I've done it this way: I remove all the other pages, save to a new document and reopen the original document.

Here's my script https://gist.github.com/2964807

But obviously this is more of an hack. And the problem is that it's very obvious to the user, as the document is closed and re-opened. Is there a cleaner way of doing it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Extracting single pages out of InDesign documents
          B4stien Level 1

In the meantime I've added another way to go about it: duplicate the page to extract directly into a new document.

That is much simpler, but far from perfect. Ideally I would want everything to happen in the background, without the user seeing a new document being created and then closed. Another issue is that it also adds the exported document to the list of recently openend files...

• 2. Re: Extracting single pages out of InDesign documents
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

B4stien wrote:

In the meantime I've added another way to go about it: duplicate the page to extract directly into a new document.

That's what I just tried There are a few caveats: my new document created with my default page size and margins, but one can fix that right after creating it. There also seemed to be some difficulties wrt left/right facing pages, but again a script should be able to work around it.

Ideally I would want everything to happen in the background, without the user seeing a new document being created and then closed. Another issue is that it also adds the exported document to the list of recently openend files...

Try this:

var exportDoc = app.documents.add(false);

-- at least your users won't see anything happen. I don't know if this still gets added to Recent Docs, though.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Extracting single pages out of InDesign documents
              B4stien Level 1

[Jongware] wrote:

var exportDoc = app.documents.add(false);

-- at least your users won't see anything happen. I don't know if this still gets added to Recent Docs, though.

Sweet, that's definetly nicer. It does add it to the recent docs, I guess there's no real way to go around that.

[Jongware] wrote:

That's what I just tried There are a few caveats: my new document created with my default page size and margins, but one can fix that right after creating it. There also seemed to be some difficulties wrt left/right facing pages, but again a script should be able to work around it.

I hadn't even thought of that yet. Still a long way to go. Thanks for your help.