11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 8:29 AM by AIDU Gothic

Importing 10,000's lines of text error

AIDU Gothic

I have several documents that have 10,000's of lines of data updated every month, but every time I import the data I get a problem. Every 6393 lines an extra blank line is inserted.

Is this a known error, and is there a patch to fix it?

I have tried importing the text into a .doc and .docx file and importing that, this didn't produce the error. However my pc crashed with my largest .docx file so isn't a work-around.

• 1. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How are you importing the data when you get the error?

Waht version and patch of ID? What OS?

• 2. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error
            AIDU Gothic Level 1

There is text already in flowing text boxes, I highlight the text, file - place, select filename.txt

Using Windows XP Pro, InDesign CS5 7.0.4

• 3. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error

What's the source of the data file? coming from a spread sheet or database?

Have you looked at the txt file to be sure there really are no extra empty lines, or additonal odd characters at the point you see the problem?

• 4. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error
                AIDU Gothic Level 1

The source is created by a database.

Yes I have checked the .txt file.

This is why I think it's a bug with ID.

• 5. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error

Could well be a bug, and 6393 is a magic number. I've not seen any similar reports, but we don't get a huge number of posts about Data Merge compared to other topics, and most users don't need to merge that many records, I think.

Have you got Delete Blank Lines enabled? Might not be a fix, but it could postentially be a workaround. You can also use find/change to remove empty lines as an after-merge step.

• 6. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error
                    AIDU Gothic Level 1

It's not possible to use the Data Merge function as my PC crashes, too labour intensive. Data Merge function seems to be the only function with the 'delete blank lines' option.

Because the .txt files are so large only the simplest of functions can be used. ie File - Place - filename.txt

How do i go about reporting this error to Adobe to get a fix? As there's no point paying all this cash for a program to go searching every 112 pages (every 6393 lines) to delete a blank line.

• 7. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Have you tried using Find/Change to remove blank lines? I believe there's even a pre-built query saved in the list for that.

• 8. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error
                        AIDU Gothic Level 1

I don't see the option.

There's;

Dash Dash to Em-Dash

Straight Double to Typographers Quote

Straight Single to Typographers Quote

Dash to En-dash

Mulitple Return to Single Return

Multiple Space to Single Space

Phone Number Conversion (dot format)

Remove Trailing Whitespace

Drop Shadow

Overprint Black Stroke

[Custom]

• 9. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error

Multiple return to single return....

A blank line is a line with a return, followed by a line that is nothing but a return, followed by a new line of text:

Text text text <return>

<return>

Text text text...

Unless of course your database is inserting only a line feed rather than the carriage return/line feed combo. Can you post a screen capture of the area of a page (zoomed in so we can see clearly), with non-printing characters showing, whre one of these blank lines occurs? Only to be able to see the end of the line above the blank and  the end of the blank line itself, and you can make two screen caps if you want to obscure the info, or blur everything but the non-pinteing characters.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error
                            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Well blow me over with a moderate gush of wind.

I just tried with a constructed text file (10,000 copies of Aidu's post above) and my trusty CS4. I get other 'magic numbers' -- first line 5,202, then line 10,403, then #15,604, and so on -- but indeed, blank lines DO come in at random positions!

The 'magic number' might not be the number of paragraphs (= lines, for plain text input), but of course also could be the total number of characters. Just so others can try: I got a Free Hard Return with every 513,778 characters of input.

It is very easy to spot: if you use repeated copies of the same text and make sure the text frame on each page contains an exact number of copies of the text, all you have to do is hold down the Page Down key until you suddenly see your text jump a line. And add a numbered list to your paragraphs for a rough line count.

AIDU Gothic wrote:

How do i go about reporting this error to Adobe to get a fix? As there's no point paying all this cash for a program to go searching every 112 pages (every 6393 lines) to delete a blank line.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think they are going to send you a fix ... Even if this bug (it must be one!) is present in CS6 as well, it just might get fixed in a point update for that, but chances are high they are going to leave this one until a Friday afternoon, when all really important bugs are fixed or it's too much work to start with a complicated one so short before the week-end.

• 11. Re: Importing 10,000's lines of text error
                              AIDU Gothic Level 1

The 'Multiple Return to Single Return' Find/Change option worked a treat. This will suffice.

Thanks for your help.