3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2012 8:19 PM by Sandeep V. RSS

Telling whether user opens .pdf

Hello, I would like to create my own pdf documents (hopefully in C# .net, but if not that's not important) and have it tracked each time they're opened.  So when the end user opens .pdf the document it pings a web address that I specify.  Is this possible to do?  If so, can anyone point me in the right direction?

• 1. Re: Telling whether user opens .pdf
          George_Johnson ACP/MVPs

It possible using a submit form action, but the user would normally be alerted to the fact and can prevent it from taking place, so you can't make it happen silently or reliably.

• 2. Re: Telling whether user opens .pdf
            jtmerch110 Community Member

Thanks George,

Are there any tuturials on doing this.  I don't mind the user knowing as it's not a secret, I'm just working on a project for a non-profit and they want to collect supporter data.  Please, if you know of any tutorials that you recommend that would be great.  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Telling whether user opens .pdf
              Sandeep V. Employee Hosts

If you can code a JavaScript or can find one free online, put that in the 'Open Event' of PDF. To do this:

• Open Acrobat (For AcrobatX)
              • Click on Tools
              • Click on JavaScript
              • Edit All JavaScripts
              • Put the script here.

Now this script will be executed when the PDF will be opened (For this is your primary need to know how many times the PDF has been opened. Even if users do not click on anything and simply close it after opening)