4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 2:49 PM by Zetta

Background Saving

Clevadio Level 1

Does anyone know if it will be possible in cs6 to script the background save and continue working or will it tie up photoshop until the script is done.  Also, is there any code that could release photoshop while a script is running? Any help would be...helpful.

• 1. Re: Background Saving
          Muppet Mark Level 5

ID has background processes, but I would doubt very much you will find any in PS even in CS6 ( I don't have btw ). Im sure some one here would have pointed by now if it did. Running it without a GUI looked not worth the effort for me… To my understanding yes script is going to tie the app up until run…

• 2. Re: Background Saving
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

For the sake of an argument on the relative merits/drawbacks of working with 16bit images I wanted to get exact times for opening files while others are saving in the background compared to saving, then opening the next file.

I guess manually triggering a background save of a sufficiently large file and then opening another one via script should provide relevant numbers, but saving in the background seems to provide peculiar Action Manager code – not that I could use it so far except to effect an apparantly »normal« save.

• 3. Re: Background Saving
              Paul Riggott Level 6

This thread may be of use..

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1087888

• 4. Re: Background Saving
                Zetta Level 1

Save in Background does not work when saving via script...?? right?  is there a setting you can have to make it save in background?

When you have your preferences set ON to  Edit > Preferences > File handling > Save In Background, and you save a file the normal way, File > SaveAs   ... the file saves in the background so you can continue working.  Great! 

...  BUT....

When you do that same action via script... activeDocument.saveAs() I get an annoying progress bar,  which inhibits being able to work while the save is running.

Any ideas on how to turn that progress bar dialog off?   I want the save in the background, just like if I selected the menu.

( app.displayDialogs = DialogModes.NO; does no good.)

Suggestions welcome.  Thankyou!