4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 9:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Text tool causing photoshop to lag...

Ajen73

Whenever I use the text tool it causes all of Adobe Photoshop to slooooooooow down and become next to inopreable. I assume that it is a font that is causing this to happen. Is there any general bug currently being investigated regarding the text tool?

It's driving me crazy. I love to work with text in photoshop and now I have to import text from illustrator, not fun.

• 1. Re: Text tool causing photoshop to lag...
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.html

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.)?

• 2. Re: Text tool causing photoshop to lag...
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not heard of any on-going Bug search, regarding fonts and the Text Tool, but I do know that some engineers are "collecting" fonts, that cause problems.

Regarding fonts, there are often two main issues:

1. Corrupt fonts, that are otherwise good.
            2. Fonts that are not corrupt, but are written/created in such a way, as to cause issues.

It can be tough for a user to know which is which. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and has some links to Adobe KB articles, on fonts, specifically to PS. The main article was written to help with problems of fonts in Adobe Premiere (Pro & Elements), in the Titler sub-app., with is much more sensitive to font issues, than is PS, AI or InDesign.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Text tool causing photoshop to lag...
              Curt Y Level 7

Also, how many font do you have installed?  If more than a few hundred may need a font manager.

• 4. Re: Text tool causing photoshop to lag...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Curt,

Good point. Installed fonts take resources, and can slow down many programs, and even on pretty stout systems. I try to keep my installed fonts to ~ 350, and ONLY have the ones that I use on a continued basis. For the other 19,000 +/-, I have them available, but use a font manager, so that I can add/remove those at will. I create some font sets by font type, say script, or by use, say DVD Menus & Titles, or by Project, or even client. It is easy to add/remove, as required.

Also, some font managers have a font fixer utility. Some corrupted fonts can be fixed, but some cannot, and need to either be deleted, or replaced with a non-corrupt font, or one that is similar.

Hunt