Find and replace for style names done correctly should not cause this. If you searched for something like <p class="me"> and replaced it with <p class="you"> and that class was not quite what was in the CSS, RoboHelp would display your topics with the style name showing in block capitals rather than crash.
My first thought was that something else had been changed unintentionally and was causing this. Then I noted you said it had compiled the first time after you had made the changes. At the moment I am a bit stumped on what it could be.
The first thing I would try is to generate some other form of help, try Microsoft HTML Help (CHM). If that too fails, then you might have to go for working on a backup as below. However, if it works, I would then create a new webhelp layout by right clicking in the SSL and selecting Create New, not the Duplicate option. If that fails then you may have to work on a backup of the project before you did the find and replace, you did make one didn't you?
Ttake a fresh copy of the backup so that you retain an untouched copy. Then copy your new CSS from the broken project into a working copy of the backup using Windows Explorer. Manually apply a few of the styles to a few topics and then test compiling. If that works, then do the find and replace work again testing after each style has been changed. After each successful pass, create a backup in case it goes wrong at the next stage. Before you start any find and replace, post back what you are using for that.
Good luck and post back how you get on.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
Hi Peter, thanks for your response.
I've reverted to my backed up (pre-edited) copy and started to find and replace my styles again. I started by replacing H3 with H6 and then compiled straight away, but the problem occurs as before - as soon as the compile begins. The HTML looks fine though - H3s are now H6s, and RoboHelp has even replaced the closing H3 tags automatically too.
I'm a bit puzzled.
Are the find and replace changes made instantly or do I have to wait a while? There are over 1,000 H3 tags to replace, but after the find and replace RoboHelp tells me that the changes have been made. The cursor flickers, but it appears to be happy for me to start the compile. Do I need to wait a while before I try compiling?
Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.
I am not at a PC so I'm not sure it would cause a crash but in HTML there is no Heading 6. You have to create a paragraph style called Heading 6.
How do you mean? I thought the standard Headings were H1 to H6.
I've got a style for H6 defined in my CSS and RoboHelp lets me apply it.
As I said, I cannot check right now but H6 rang a bell. Cannot look until later.
I think I may have found the issue. When I replace the opening H3 tag (with H6) and then look in the HTML of any of my topics, the closing H3 tag looks like it's been automatically changed to a closing H6 tag as well. At this point, I was assuming all was well and I trying to compile. This is when RoboHelp fell over. However, the closing H3 tags hadn't been changed because if I perform a further find and replace to replace the closing H3 tag, it replaces them as well. It now compiles fine.
I'm guessing the mismatch of H6 opening tag and H3 closing tags were causing the problem. To me it looks like it might be a display issue in RoboHelp, although it would need verifying.
I'll carry on apply my other new styles and see how I get on.
Thanks for your help.