7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 12:10 PM by the_wine_snob

best way to import from iTunes & audio lock to video?

spj5kylie

I just started with PrE 10 and am coming from years with iMovie HD6 (never liked the later versions). Can audio tracks be dragged from iTunes (by having 2 minimal sized windows of each application open) into the Project area? Or do you need to try and find each song by going through the whole Get Media  File/Folder link process? I've tried dragging a few songs from iTunes, and it didn't seem to work (it was very easy in iMovie). I was able to add photos to the Project area from iPhoto by dragging them over from the iPhoto window.

Also, is there a way to lock (or link) the beginning of an added audio/soundtrack clip to a video clip, so that it does not inadvertently get moved, or so that if you move the video clip, or delete an earlier video clip, the locked audio goes with that video clip?

[Moved to the Premiere Elements main forum]

• 1. Re: best way to import from iTunes & audio lock to video?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, where few people will see it.

I will move it to the main Premiere Elements Forum, where you will get more views and more answers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: best way to import from iTunes & audio lock to video?
            spj5kylie Level 1

Thanks. I guess I am new.

-Sam

• 3. Re: best way to import from iTunes & audio lock to video?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With Audio, you need to Import the file (Get Media), as Premiere needs to Conform the Audio, creating both a CFA (Conformed Audio) file, and a PEK (Waveform Display) file, and link to those.

Now, with iTunes, there can be some problems, though things have gotten a bit better recently. If you DO have an issue, you can create a Playlist in iTunes, and copy over all the files that you need for your Project, then burn a CD of that Playlist. The Audio-CD will be in the CDA container in as a WAV file, which should Import just fine, into PrE.

Actually, it might be easier, even if the iTunes music does Import, to create a Playlist in iTunes, where you can drag and drop right from the iTunes GUI, and then Import from that Playlist.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added link to Conforming Audio Article

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: best way to import from iTunes & audio lock to video?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't worry. Many sort of get lost in the Premiere Elements Forum structure, and we want as many views, as possible for you, to answer your questions. It was simple, and almost instantaneous. Welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 5. Re: best way to import from iTunes & audio lock to video?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, as far as Locking, the closest that PrE offers is Clip>Group, with the Audio & Video both Selected. This is done with the cursor, or by using Shift+click.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: best way to import from iTunes & audio lock to video?
                    spj5kylie Level 1

OK, I will give that a try when I get a chance. I asked about locking because last night I had imported an audio clip under some video already added to the Timeline, then I tried dropping in a new video clip in front of another video clip, and somehow the audio got split and moved back in sync with the other video clip behind the new one added, leaving a silent gap where the new video clip was added. Not sure how or why that happened.

• 7. Re: best way to import from iTunes & audio lock to video?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Group, for non-muxed Audio & Video, you might want to explore the Insert Edit function. By default, when one is doing most editing, the cursor is in Ripple Edit mode, which means that Clips to the right, will move about, to accommodate the editing operation. If you hold down the Ctrl key, you switch to Insert Edit mode, where there will be no movement of other Clips, BUT with Insert Edit, if you were to drag a Clip over another Clip, or part of it, the new Clip will replace that existing Clip, or the part of it, over which the new Clip was dragged. It just depends on what one wants to do.

I still think that if you Group the Audio & Video (can also be used for multiple Clips in only one Stream), you will protect them, as for most operations, PrE will treat them as a single unit. Give that a try, and let us know if it does what you need. If not, then there might be another workflow, that will be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful