13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 9:01 PM by Jim_Simon

Multicam question

CAOLSEN Level 1

Hello,  I am using CS6 and trying to multicam.  The problem I have is that each  camera I used, produced many small files.

After watching the tutorials on Multicam editing, each lesson had me make the multicam squence from the Project panel.

This worked, but the multicam squence only picked up the first file from each camera.

Is there a way for PP to use all of the files from each camera?

Or is there a way to make a multicam squence from the Timeline? (where all the smaller files are already joined)

Or does I need to figure out how to join all the the individaul camera files into one file before trying to make a multicam squence?

If so, what is the best way to join all of the files without a recompress?

I hope someone understands what I am talking about here.  My cameras record to SD cards, and a 60 minute long shoot can have many small files.

PP is only picking up the first file, the ones I used a clapper board on, and isn't grabbing the rest of them when making the multicam squence from the Project panel.

Help!

• 1. Re: Multicam question
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

After you create a multi-camera source sequence, you can continue to add more camera angles and clips to existing angles. Open the Multicamera Source sequence (right click the source sequence and choose > Open in Timeline) and edit more clips into it on the appropriate track.

More info on this page in Help: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/premiere-pro/using/editing-multi-camera-sequences1. html#source_sequence_for_multi_camera_editing

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Multicam question
            Jim_Simon Level 8

camera I used, produced many small files.

Make sure you're copying over the entire contents of the top level folder to your hard drive, not just the individual media files.  Then make sure to use the Media Browser to import that media.  Doing it this way will join the smaller files into one long clip (assuming it was shot continuous, without stopping the recording).

• 3. Re: Multicam question
              CAOLSEN Level 1

No Jim, that doesn't work.  I recorded MXF files using the NanoFlash recorder and it creates new files every  5 minutes or so depending apon the bitrate setting.

The files do not automaticly join in the Project panel...they will on the Timeline ofcourse.

I am trying Kevins way right now.

• 4. Re: Multicam question
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not familiar with the NanoFlash, but it seems like if they show up as one file on the timeline, they'd have to come in as one file in the Project panel.  I've never seen PP behave any other way.

You may have to delete all the media, clear the cache and try again.  (And remember, you need the entire CF card copied over, not just the MXF files.)

• 5. Re: Multicam question
                  CAOLSEN Level 1

Jim, I just copied the folder over which contained the video files, then imported that folder into the Project panel.

How do I copy the whole CF card?

• 6. Re: Multicam question
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Using Windows Explorer.  Just make sure you're in the root of the card, then copy everything to your hard drive.

Once that's done, use the Media Browser inside of PP to navigate to the folder you just copied.  That should allow you to import the smaller files as one long clip.

• 7. Re: Multicam question
                      CAOLSEN Level 1

Thanks Kevin and Jim.

Jim I tried coping the whole CF card, but it didn't change anything in the Media Browser / Project panel area.  It still showed all of the individuual files in the respective folder that was on the card.

Of course I could drag the whole folder to the Timeline ,and it joins them all together just fine!

But unfortunately, in order to make a multicam squence, one has to do it from the Project Panel, and not the timeline.  (according to all of the help videos I have watched)

Kevins sugestion worked fine, even though it was a bit time consuming.

Thank you all very much!!

• 8. Re: Multicam question
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

in order to make a multicam squence, one has to do it from the Project Panel

No you don't.  You can do it just fine from the timeline.

• 9. Re: Multicam question
                          CAOLSEN Level 1

That is what I was hoping for...but I could not figure it out.  And all of the training for CS6 says to make it from the Project panel.  I couldmy  not find any example of it bing created from the Timeline.

In fact when I select the squence or even the Timeline as a whole, the Muiti Cam menu is light grey, inactive.

I'll keep looking for instructions on how to do it from the Timeline.

• 10. Re: Multicam question
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Add your clips, sync them up, nest that sequence into a second, right click and Enable Multicam.

• 11. Re: Multicam question
                              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Jim Simon wrote:

Add your clips, sync them up, nest that sequence into a second, right click and Enable Multicam.

I'll make sure this is clear in the docs.

• 12. Re: Multicam question
                                CAOLSEN Level 1

Thanks Jim,

I'm going to try that.  I did try that eariler and struggled with geting the timeline clips synced up.  (The sync button always stayed greyed out for some reason)

Couldn't figure it out...CS6 has a learning cruve even if one is basicly familar with CS5.

That procedure would have saveed a lot of time, doing it from the timeline that is.

Thanks again!

• 13. Re: Multicam question
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

(The sync button always stayed greyed out for some reason)

So do it manually.