6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2012 12:08 PM by Edward_01

IDCS6 (PC) stops working during spell check

Edward_01

This is happening repeatedly. Our small office is using our own custom dictionary for spelling that I just recently created. Based on an article on another website IU have followed its suggestion for placing the dictionary on your server (rather than workstation C drive) so that all work stations can use and point to the same dictionary. Not only is the dictionary newly created (by exporting it from our old ID2 dictionary) but the entire IDCS6 installation is only a week old and is still being setup by me. Below arescreen shots that occur after using the spelling check for a minute or so. Any idea of what might be going on and how to fix it?

• 1. Re: IDCS6 (PC) stops working during spell check
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

No Screen shots... You can't attach to the forum, but you can embed an image by using the camera icon on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 2. Re: IDCS6 (PC) stops working during spell check
            Edward_01 Level 1

Here are images to go with original post:

6-22-2012 11-38-14 AM.png

6-22-2012 11-49-58 AM2nd.png

• 3. Re: IDCS6 (PC) stops working during spell check

Unfortunately, Windows crash reporting is not particularly useful. About all that we can tell is it involves text in some way, not surprising given you are running a spell check.

• 4. Re: IDCS6 (PC) stops working during spell check
                Edward_01 Level 1

Thx Peter. So am I to just grin and bear it, seems so?  Seems like Windows makes it less likely that a non-Microsft product will work well on Windows - corpoarte undermining of the competition.  With ID2 it was very rare that we had Indd crash, but that was also under Windwos XP.

• 5. Re: IDCS6 (PC) stops working during spell check

It's not that you necessarily have to grin and bear it so much as we have no tools to help diagnose and track down the problem. I've had no trouble running any version of ID on Windows over the years -- currently running CS3 through CS6 on Windows 7 -- so this is  more than likely a problem related to something local to your system. I don't use custom dictionaries, nor run spell check very often (I prefer a proofreader), but I suspect many other users do, and this isn't a commonly reported problem, making it even less likely to be generalized.

Do you still get crashing if you move the dictionary back to the user profile where ID is expecting to find it? How about in a brand new user?

• 6. Re: IDCS6 (PC) stops working during spell check
                    Edward_01 Level 1

Thx @ Peter

"Do you still get crashing if you move the dictionary back to the user profile where ID is expecting to find it?"  I have not tried that and probably will do so. While it'd help diagnose whether problem is that Indd does NOT like having dictionary on server, I really don't want to take the time. Indd Help clearly states and recommends that custom dictionary be on server in these circumstances so that every work station is applying the same spelling and hyphenation rules.

I appreciate your response and your unwillingness to bash Microsoft as I had, but my own experience is that Microsoft (and other large companies) often act in ways to promote their own solutions and products and intentionally or unintentionally make it more challenging for other software (or other products) to work with their operating system (or whatever it is that they sell).

If it seems warranted, I will report back here if from more actual use and experience I have something of value to add. Again thanks ...