9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2012 8:55 AM by RjL190365

Budget Upgrade

VideoE Level 1

I'm trying to upgrade a 9450 quad system w/ 8 GBs of 800 mhz RAM and a nVidia GT 280 card on which 1trk of HDV and 1 of AVCHD- scaled and CC'd- play but will stall when scrubbing and/or jumping around on the timeline.  Editing for a non-profit, I'm trying to upgrade with limited means.

I'm working with the CS5 Production Suite and I'm looking at getting a new CPU, either a SandyBridge 3820 or an IvyBridge 3770k and an appropriate Mobo, a x79 or 77 model.  Plus newer RAM (16GBs).  I'm trying to keep this at around $800-900.00 and maybe a bit later upgrade the GT 280 card.  And hoping that a guy who's primary tech experience has been adding HDD's like me can pull this off.

Any suggestions would help.  Thanks- Eric.

• 1. Re: Budget Upgrade
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Build http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878520?tstart=0

-more build ideas http://ppbm6.com/Planning.html

-Build it Yourself http://forums.adobe.com/thread/815798

-http://www.shawnlam.ca/2012/premiere-pro-cs6-video-editing-computer-build/

Also, back on the hardware forum main page, click the FAQ window and read in the drop down list

• 2. Re: Budget Upgrade
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Eric, if you currently have an adequate power supply and case and an absolute minumum of two or three decent 7200 rpm drives you should be able get by with a significant upgrade in processing power.  It of course will not be the best for upgrading down stream. Do you have a MicroCenter any where near you?  They have some great deals if you can walk into a store.  Or do you have friend or relative near one?

i7-3820  $230

GA-X79-UD3 $240

RAM Memory  $140

The GA-X79-UD3 does not have an HDV compatible IEEE-1394 Firewire port, so you will have to pick up one.  The X79 boards are fussy on memory but since this is a low-end X79 board it only has four RAM slots and I am guessing you may not be overclocking, it should be cheaper and easier to find compatible memory.  Here is one example of Gigabyte's approved memory for this board from their web site. You should fill all four memory slots for optimum performance

This is not what I would buy, but with your money constraints it should be about a middle of the road scoring system with our PPBM5 Benchmark.  There is one i7-3820 that has been tested it is rated (today) as 161 out of 921 submitted results. It is slightly overclocked but only has 12 GB of RAM so you can roughly see what you might expect in performance.

• 3. Re: Budget Upgrade
              VideoE Level 1

Thanks for your exceptionally speedy replies.  The Ivy Bridge contestant puts a relatively new spin on things.  So I'm looking for some info on that as well.  What I learned from John's references is that there are 'gotchas' , like slot layout allowing for room for the video cards and RAM voltages.    And Bill, thanks for the suggestions.  Still looking at the Ivy Bridge option...

• 4. Re: Budget Upgrade

I have the Ivy Bridge i7-3770K it is number 79 (today) on the PPBM5 testing with CS6.  Not to happy with it and I will probably be selling it.  It is not great for overclocking which I do lots of for testing our PPBM benchmarks.  Max TPD on i7-3770K is 77 watts, max TPD on i7-3820 is 130 watts, i.e. less overclocking headroom.  This may not be a good reason for you.

As far as the RAM voltages, if you use the motherboard recommended RAM modules and only none or minimal overclocking you should have no problems.

• 5. Re: Budget Upgrade
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

What a disappointment. Me, with my current i7-2600K I could never get above rank 196th with PPBM5 and CS6 even with the CPU overclocked to 4.4GHz (although the current WHQL 301.42 driver might be partly to blame for such unimpressive overclocked performance). Worse, the MPEG-2 DVD performance in the PPBM5 test with CS6 is only about 15 seconds faster at 4.4GHz than at the CPU's default Turbo clock frequency of 3.5GHz - 113 seconds to 128 seconds. This tells me that I might have had a bottleneck somewhere in my system (and yes, I did disable all of the unnecessary processes when I ran the PPBM5 benchmarks).

The excellent result I had attained previously with PPBM5 and CS5.5 might have been the result of the system using an older WHQL driver version (296.10).

• 6. Re: Budget Upgrade

That is an interesting observation Randall on the GPU drivers.  Towards the end of my i7-2600K experiments I was never able to repeat my original posted CS5.5 results. (un)Fortunately, I have a nearby Microcenter store and I could not resist picking up the i7-3770K and plugged it into my GA-Z68XP-UD4 board. The best I could overclock was to 3.9 GHz.(maximum BIOS multiplier was 39 ???) and Gigabyte first level tech support blamed it on the Award BIOS.  Maybe a different motherboard manufacturer or a Z77 motherboard might have been a better match.  I am eager to see if this new Asrock Z77 Extreme11 board gets released with the onboard 6 Gb/s LSI RAID controller, last comment from Asrock was possibly in July.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 7. Re: Budget Upgrade
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Bill, I am still stuck on the same Asus P8P67 PRO motherboard that I had almost since the revision of that motherboard with the newer B3 stepping of the Intel P67 chipset began to be shipped to resellers. Maybe that chipset is hampering non-overclocked performance?

• 8. Re: Budget Upgrade

Very valid point, my Z68 board is also Version 1 which means I do not have the B3 stepping!

• 9. Re: Budget Upgrade
                          RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, Bill, all Z68s are of the B3 stepping. The Z68 did not come out until after all of the B3 P67s had been on the market for three months.

As for your particular Version 1 Z68XP-UD4 board, the only difference between the Version 1.0 and Version 1.3 is that the 1.0 is not fully PCI-e 3.0 ready: The primary PCI-e x16 slot runs in only PCI-e 3.0 x8 mode even if it's the only slot in use. And the secondary x16 slot only runs in PCI-e 2.0 x8 mode if that slot is used due to the Generation 2 switch that's on the revision 1.0 board.