2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2006 11:54 AM by Newsgroup_User

Updating inventory question

Level 7
      Im looking for some possible solutions for the following:

I have a form that our techs use to track a peice of equipment, nothing
      fancy its just a form that they input the data along with serial number to
      have a searchable log of the equipment. What they are asking for now is more
      accurate counts of the equipment and the status of that equipment.

So what im looking for is for our techs to continue to complete the same
      form, BUT run some sort of verification before the record is inserted.

So if they enter a serial number that already exists in the table, i want it
      to update the status from On Hand to Shipped or whatever they decide they
      want me to lable the items.

With that said I still need to keep a history of that serial number so i can
      see that its been 6 of our stores within the last year...

is this something that can be done with little or no changes for the techs?
      or will i have to redesign the form and have them make that selection them
      selves?

• 1. Re: Updating inventory question
          Level 7
          Daniel wrote:
          > Im looking for some possible solutions for the following:
          >
          > I have a form that our techs use to track a peice of equipment, nothing
          > fancy its just a form that they input the data along with serial number to
          > have a searchable log of the equipment. What they are asking for now is more
          > accurate counts of the equipment and the status of that equipment.
          >
          > So what im looking for is for our techs to continue to complete the same
          > form, BUT run some sort of verification before the record is inserted.
          >
          > So if they enter a serial number that already exists in the table, i want it
          > to update the status from On Hand to Shipped or whatever they decide they
          > want me to lable the items.
          >
          > With that said I still need to keep a history of that serial number so i can
          > see that its been 6 of our stores within the last year...
          >
          > is this something that can be done with little or no changes for the techs?
          > or will i have to redesign the form and have them make that selection them
          > selves?
          >
          >

What you're describing obvioulsy involves server-side scripting and a database.
          What are they? (PHP, ASP, CF, other? mySQL?...)

--
          seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
          http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
          Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List
          • 2. Re: Updating inventory question
            Level 7
            Sorry,

Using ASP and currently setup using Access DB, but since its growing so
            quickly, im trying to get approval to move it to our SQL server but that may
            be awhile.

"(_seb_)" <seb@webtrans1.com> wrote in message
            news:ed2f95$nl8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Daniel wrote:
            >> Im looking for some possible solutions for the following:
            >>
            >> I have a form that our techs use to track a peice of equipment, nothing
            >> fancy its just a form that they input the data along with serial number
            >> to have a searchable log of the equipment. What they are asking for now
            >> is more accurate counts of the equipment and the status of that
            >> equipment.
            >>
            >> So what im looking for is for our techs to continue to complete the same
            >> form, BUT run some sort of verification before the record is inserted.
            >>
            >> So if they enter a serial number that already exists in the table, i want
            >> it to update the status from On Hand to Shipped or whatever they decide
            >> they want me to lable the items.
            >>
            >> With that said I still need to keep a history of that serial number so i
            >> can see that its been 6 of our stores within the last year...
            >>
            >> is this something that can be done with little or no changes for the
            >> techs? or will i have to redesign the form and have them make that
            >> selection them selves?
            >
            > What you're describing obvioulsy involves server-side scripting and a
            > database.
            > What are they? (PHP, ASP, CF, other? mySQL?...)
            >
            > --
            > seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
            > http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
            > Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List