6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2012 10:45 AM by KarenZukR

Exporting with Drop shadow

KarenZukR

I have an object (ellipse) with cmyk color and apply a drop shadow. When I export to PDF it looks fine in Acrobat. When I try emailing it I see a grey rectangular box around the object.

• 1. Re: Exporting with Drop shadow
          Scott Falkner Level 5

How are you emailing it? What program are you using to view the email? Are you emailing a screen capture of the image or the PDF? If it’s an attachment, then it doesn’t matter how your email program shows the PDF, it only matters that the file is received at the other end.

tl;dr: Tell us what you are doing, step by step. Provide screen grabs.

• 2. Re: Exporting with Drop shadow
            KarenZukR Level 1

Screen Shot 2012-06-23 at 12.15.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-06-23 at 12.16.34 PM.png

The shot without the text is from the pdf. The shot with the text is from the ad that I emailed to myself. I'm using gmail. I attatch the file after inserting my curser in the email body. When I viewe it on my Ipad the grey box is black.

I tried opening the pdf in photoshop and resaving from there but the file became too large. I have also tried many of the suggestions re: YDB, etc. transparency presets, etc.

This is for a sample ad that will also be used for email blasts. After realizing that the problem was from the dopr shadow effect I experimented by just creating a new file with only the ellipse. Can't see how to eliminate the grey box when emailing.

• 3. Re: Exporting with Drop shadow
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The only viewer that reliably renders complex PDF (like those containing transparency as this does) is Acrobat or Adobe Reader.

• 4. Re: Exporting with Drop shadow
                KarenZukR Level 1

Is there a better solution for an email blast?

• 5. Re: Exporting with Drop shadow
                  Scott Falkner Level 5

If you want to send a printable PDF then send that as an attachment. Try saving as Acrobat 4, which will force any transparent areas (like the drop shadow) to be flattened.

If you want an image optimized for viewing in the body of an email, export as JPG and embed it instead of using an attachment. You might get a better image if you first export to PDF then open the PDF in Photoshop. Use Photoshop's Save For Web command to save the JPG image and optimize the resolution.

• 6. Re: Exporting with Drop shadow
                    KarenZukR Level 1

Thanks for the help. Sounds like a good solution.