4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2012 11:40 PM by bluefire777

time lapse

bluefire777 Level 1

can anyone suggest the best snap rate for time lapse?

I`m using a camcorder that allows 3 seconds or 10 seconds, i wanted to film high on an angle and do a tilt shift video, would I use shooting of one frame per 3 seconds or per 10 seconds?

i`d be filming for 7 hours.

• 1. Re: time lapse
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the subject matter?

I have done several Time-Lapse Videos, but use an intervelometer on a still camera, and adjust that, depending on the subject, and its movement.

Then, I adjust the Still Duration in Edit>Preferences to somewhere between 3 - 5 Frames, again, depending on the subject, and assemble in Premiere.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: time lapse
            bluefire777 Level 1

Thanks Bill !, ever the champion helper,

I wont be shooting until sept/oct but was preparing now, just wanted it for my trip then.

kind regards,

• 3. Re: time lapse
              the_wine_snob Level 9

It is good that you are checking things out before hand. I would test, on a similar subject, if possible.

I have never shot Time-Lapse on a video camera with built-in intervelometer, so have no tips to add there. You know more about that, than I do. With still cameras, and still images, I usually adjust the frequency for both the subject, and the "look" that I am after. Say with clouds streaking across the sky, I have used about 1 Frame per 5 sec., but have also gone with a longer frequency, up to about 1 Frame per 30 sec.

Good luck, and please share your settings, when your testing is done. Also, travel safely.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: time lapse
                bluefire777 Level 1

Thanks Bill,

I was also going to experiment with time lapse on the video recording every 3 or 10 frames or 1 per 30 like yourself,  good advice "I usually adjust the frequency for both the subject, and the "look" that I am after."..

I`d definitely want different frame capture rates say shooting clouds across the sky versus boat racing or formula 1 or a 100 metre sprint, (1 per 30 seconds I might as well not show up).

I`m also going to be trialling a Nikon DSLR , here`s a good video on shooting time lapse.