3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2012 9:57 PM by KiwiPete35

Corrupt file prevents installation

KiwiPete35

I recently re-installed Win XP on my (old) computer.

When I go to re-install my Premiere Elements using the original installation CD the installation fails with:

Error 1335

Data1.cab file required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used.

What can I do? Is there some other way that I can get the Data1.cab file??

Thanks for any help / advice.

KiwiPete

• 1. Re: Corrupt file prevents installation
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you've got the latest version of the program, download it from the Adobe site. Your serial number will still work to register it.

But, if you get this message again, check for a corrupt font on your computer. That's one of the chief causes for installation problems.

Also, manually go to Windows Update and ensure you have even the non-critical updates (which can include some important new drivers).

• 2. Re: Corrupt file prevents installation
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve's suggestion to download is based on you having a S/N for PrE 10, now is probably a good time to ask, what version of PrE do you have?

Along with his suggestions, I have three little "tricks," that might, or might not be able to help.

1. Copy the installation DVD to your internal HDD, and launch the installer from there. I would NOT Copy it to the Desktop Folder, but would create a New Folder, and name it something like "Premiere_Install." Sometimes, a file, that causes an issue when called from the installation routine, will Copy over just fine.
            2. Use a program, like the great, free ImgBurn, to Copy your installation DVD to a new DVD. Use high-quality blank media, such as Verbatim, Taiyo-Yuden, or Falcon Pro. Try to install from your copy. Sometimes, the byte for byte Copy process will get you non-corrupt files on the new disc.
            3. If you have more than one multi-drive, try installing from the other. I always build systems with at least two multi-drives and always choose different brands and models. Some multi-drives read some discs better, than another multi-drive. I have had several that would throw errors in my Plextor, but my LG would handle them just fine, and vice versa.

None of those is failsafe, but each has helped me, and many others.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Corrupt file prevents installation
              KiwiPete35 Level 1

Thanks Bill and Steve.

I should have explained in my original post that I have Premiere Elements 2.0 (dinosaur I know, but still a good application) so the option of downloading again from Adobe site is not going to work.

I will try Bill's suggestions and report back...

KiwiPete