8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 8:23 PM by Jim_Simon

Markers in CS6: some questions

Mark Morreau Adobe Community Professional

I create a sequence marker in the sequence by pressing the M key.

I double click the marker and give it a name.
      I open the Marker window (window -> markers) but the name doesn't appear in the Marker window, just a thumbnail, the in and out points and the comments.

I would really like to see the name of the marker in the Marker window.

Am I being really stupid here? Surely there's a way to see the name of the Marker in the Marker window?

Once I create a marker, and give it a duration, I don't seem to be able to alter the length of it on the timeline by click and dragging the end point: when I click on the end point it moves the cursor to the beginning of the marker. Is anyone else having this experience? I'd really like to be able to modify the duration of the marker on the timeline by clicking and dragging the end point as well as the beginning point.

Oh, and these are all comment markers, not Encore Chapter Markers or Flash Markers

Cheers

Mark

• 1. Re: Markers in CS6: some questions
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Surely there's a way to see the name of the Marker in the Marker window?

I see no way to do so.

Once I...give it a duration, I don't seem to be able to alter the length of it on the timeline by click and dragging the end point

It works fine for me.  Not sure why it doesn't for you.

• 2. Re: Markers in CS6: some questions

Thanks Jim. I'll submit a FR to be able to see Marker name in Marker window.

That's strange, the issue of not being able to click and drag the end point of a marker. I just can't do it. Not on either of my systems.... As soon as I click on the end point of a sequence marker - even zoomed in to one frame - the CTI (or whatever it's called these days - playhead?) just scoots to the beginning of the marker region.

Am I really the only person seeing this?

• 3. Re: Markers in CS6: some questions
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The CTI scoots, but I can move beginning or end.

• 4. Re: Markers in CS6: some questions

OK, I think I've figured out what's going on here.

If the entire marked section is visible in the timeline then yes, you can click and drag the end of the green marked section to extend or contract the marked section using the mouse.

If, however, only the end of the marked section is visible in the timeline then when you click on the end of the marked section the playhead jumps to the beginning of the marked section, your view of the timeline shifts so that you can no longer see the end of the marked section, and you are thus unable to extend or contract the end of the marked section.

Therefore, the entire marked section has to be visible in the timeline window for you to be able to click and drag the end of a marked section.

Do people concur?

Cheers

Mark

• 5. Re: Markers in CS6: some questions
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

That's the only way I tested, and it works fine.

• 6. Re: Markers in CS6: some questions

Jim Simon wrote:

That's the only way I tested, and it works fine.

What was the only way you tested? Zoomed out enough to see entire marked sections?

With my current timeline of 5 seven minute marked sections in an hour long sequence I can't zoom in enough to do any kind of accurate adjustment of the end point.

I can see why the design is to click on the marker and for the playback head to go to the beginning of a marked section, but I wish (and yes FR about to be submitted) that there was a modifier key that stopped the PBhead - and hence the view - from moving so one could do detailed mouse adjustment of the end of a marked section.

• 7. Re: Markers in CS6: some questions
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Therefore, the entire marked section has to be visible in the timeline window for you to be able to click and drag the end of a marked section.

I concur: If I am zoomed out so the the beginning of the marker is not on the screen, I cannot drag the end; it jumps to the beginning.

• 8. Re: Markers in CS6: some questions
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

What was the only way you tested? Zoomed out enough to see entire marked sections?

Yes.