1 2 3 Previous Next 100 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 1:24 AM by KosCheb Go to original post
      • 80. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
        Jim_Simon Level 9

I love having Rolling Edit so easily accessible without going to a separate tool.

THAT is the new feature that has been driving me crazy!  I hate it, I freakin' hate it!  Every time I get the cursor close and hit CTRL to go into Ripple Trim, it goes into that damn Rolling Edit mode instead.  You actually have to back the cursor off from the edit point to get Ripple Trim, which is counterintuitive and problematic, because if you back off too far you lose the Trim mode altogether.

Screen capture is problematic.  I don't have or want any such software installed on my production rig.

• 81. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
          shooternz Level 6

I would have thought for a Mouse ,Click Drag editor it would have been very intuitive.

Roll Trim on the Centre of an edit and  Trim or Ripple Trim either side of the centre depending on the direction required. Makes perfect sense and logic.

I suggest to you as a "Mouse ,Click Drag editor" ...that you simply use the keyboard shortcut to zoom in to your timeline ,(edit point)  quickly and easily and so allow more "proximity space" for your cursor control.

• 82. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
            Powered by Design Level 4

@ Jim

Use Screenr its web based and you dont have to install anything.  I have used it for recording a Premiere session, its easy.  And FREE

GLenn

• 83. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
              Jim_Simon Level 9
              Roll Trim on the Center of an edit and  Trim or Ripple Trim either side of the center depending on the direction required. Makes perfect sense and logic.

Yes, if only it worked that way.  Unfortunately, the "center" which initiates the Rolling Edit covers too much area, and includes the space where previously we'd simply go into the expected Ripple Edit mode, thus forcing the area that initiates the Ripple Edit freakishly far away from the actual edit point.

The zoom level doesn't seem to be relevant here.  Within a certain proximity to the edit point, hitting CTRL goes into Rolling Edit rather than the expected and desired Ripple Edit.

• 84. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                Jack Banatoni Level 1

Been using CS6 since release and still haven't gotten used to the constantly changing trim mode.  I'm also running into issues where I have to zoom in quite a lot to right click in empty space between clips for the Ripple Delete option to appear.

The "get used to it" attitude is kind of disappointing since, you know, I "got used to" the way trimming has worked in every other version of Premiere Pro.

• 86. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                  Toomany3 Level 1

Jack, I totally agree with you.

• 87. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                    shooternz Level 6

Have any of you tried a simple keyboard shortcut for  Toggle Trim Mode (Trim Type).

I set up  SHift -Z to quickly toggle the Trim Mode ( Trim Type)

If the Trim is on the edit point...one can quickly toggle to the type you want. 

There is zero need to faff around hovering the edit point and it also has same functionality if one is using the Trim Monitor.  ( "T")

It also brings into play decent keyboard editing for those that use more  keyboard  than mouse in the timeline edit techniques.

The options are there for all level of users (and all I hear from colleagues -  FCP /AVID switchers - is praise).

Complaints about new TL Trimming  are very rare in this forum and un noticeable elsewhere.  

I was asked at the Adobe CS6 Road Show ten days ago in Auckland NZ, what were my favourite features of the new Premiere.

It was Timeline Trimming, Hover Browse, Mercury Transmit.

Deleting empty space. 

If it is a tiny space ..that usually indicates to me that the editor is probably razoring in the timeline and not making use of the trim tools  or other functions in an efficient / effective way.  ( No matter what version of the trim tools old / new). 

Zooming into that is the only way in that case.

• 88. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                      Jim_Simon Level 9
                      There is zero need to faff around hovering the edit point

But it's faster and more precise that way (or at least, it used to be) when your hand is already on the mouse.

• 89. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                        shooternz Level 6

Whats your left hand doing?

It used to be hovering near the Modifying CTRL and  ALT key anyway.

• 90. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                          Jack Banatoni Level 1

I'm happy that the new trim mode works for some people.  I don't have any problem with adding functionality.  Interrupting functionality that already existed is disappointing.  Sure, there are all kinds of new features to win over FCP/Avid users, but what about the people who were already using Premiere Pro?  Considering there are several lengthy threads on this subject, I'd say I'm not the only one who preferred the old trim methods.

Ripple delete was just an example, by the way.  Everyone has their own editing style and sometimes it's necessary to work on a project someone else started that may benefit from using ripple delete.  The same is true if you want to select the edge of another clip.  It used to be very easy to edit adjacent clips on a sequence and now it's "zoom in all the way, click clip edge, click in empty area, click next clip edge, click in empty area..."  I don't see why it's so radical to suggest a feature to turn off the automatic trim mode changes.  That would benefit both mouse and keyboard editors.

With the automatic rolling edit tool, I could say the same to keyboard editors: how hard was it to hit N?

• 91. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                            Jim_Simon Level 9

Interrupting functionality that already existed is disappointing.

Exactly.

With the automatic rolling edit tool, I could say the same to keyboard editors: how hard was it to hit N?

Right?!

• 92. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                              SplineTimeLine Level 1

I agree somewhat. I think the biggest "sticking" point (pun intended) is that:

1-previously I could move quite subtly around the trim point and get the function to change i.e. trim/ripple/etc or grab. The new behavior is much more aggressive "invoking tool" much further from the trim boundary.

2- I have to explicity click off the clip and then click on the other side to change which side I'm addressing. Before I could just move the mouse to the other side and it would "follow" my intent. I understand with the the new trim mode, that could cause issues.

Maybe an option in preferences to change the strength of the function "snap" and the ability to say "work like now or to go back to "mouse position" context aware.

Overall, I know that I am used to doing it a certain way, and it will take some adjustment, and I do like a lot of the features, but I am definitely clicking more.

Kevin L

• 93. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                                Jim_Simon Level 9

Both excellent points.  That's why I want a preference to turn off the new 'keyboard trimming' and restore the older (and faster, if your hand is already on the mouse) method of trimming.

• 94. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                                  Jack Banatoni Level 1

"2- I have to explicity click off the clip and then click on the other side to change which side I'm addressing. Before I could just move the mouse to the other side and it would "follow" my intent. I understand with the the new trim mode, that could cause issues."

That's my biggest issue with the current trim tools.  It doesn't "follow" the intent.  Good way to sum that up.

If I have layers stacked, sometimes I'll need to grab the edge of both clips and drag them out.  Now, it matters which side of the clip your cursor is to drag it out.  Otherwise, you only take one clip with you.

Jim has the right idea with the option to turn the new trimming "feature" on/off.

• 95. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                                    Jim_Simon Level 9

It's not that hard, really.  Another option in the General Preferences marked "Allow Edit Point Selection".  Adobe can even have it check by default, just so long as I can go in and turn it off.

(And get rid of the Rolling Edit option when near an edit point.  Slide or Ripple should be the only choices when the selection tool is used.  If I want a Rolling Edit, I'll hit the N key.)

• 96. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                                      cliffclof Level 1

Any news on this.   It's important for adobe to fix this IMO.  Kind of like fixing the front door on your house after it fell in.

• 97. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                                        Keith_Clark Level 2

shooternz wrote:

What seems to have happened is that because the Trim Modes needs to be "indicated" by a big fat symbol ....at ...and either side of the edit point...the editing precision is lost for those of us who are frequently cutting and trimming very short scenes in our timelines.eg. 6 - 30 frame cuts

*cough* razor tool in timeline *cough*

i know it goes against industry standard tactics, but that may be the next bast thing now? who knows. i usually do that when it comes to very very quick cuts. it just seems razor fast to just get on the timeline and cut the fat.

• 98. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                                          cliffclof Level 1

Razor doesn't solve adjusting an 8 frame transition. even a 16 frame transition for that matter or even *selecting* transitions that size.   I guess it becomes a knife in the leg.

• 99. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                                            cliffclof Level 1

Meh.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suBLYRdjrfE

That explains it.  probably faster when used, but even with this type of interface and edit method, IMO, there is still no need to dull down the mouse tool selection.

'T' button for the win.

• 100. Re: I need to get my mouse sharpened...
                                              KosCheb Level 1

Simon, even if you edit with the keyboard mostly, regular mice for pro's of many years like you are a no-no - please explore ergonomic versions before you wear out your wrists. I have been editing with an "Evoluent" vertical mouse (wired version) for 3 years. Before that I tried the vertical Joystick-style 3M version (best ergonomically but low precision in editing) and the Microsoft quazi-ergonomic concoctions but only Evoluent really dealt away with the pronation. The lurking carpal tunnel is gone. I've been editing non-stop and not experiencing problems ever since I moved to this beast. If you are interested - do NOT get bluetooth versions, they suck. There's an Apple version, too.

1 2 3 Previous Next