1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 2:49 AM by Harm Millaard

Why does my new RAID card hurt performance?

RFDPiper Level 1

I recently installed an Areca 1882ix-12 card in my computer, and now it's slower than ever.  Do I have a setting wrong?  Specifically it seems to be eating up all my RAM which was never a problem before.

My computer:

Asus Sabertooth X58 mobo

24GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia Quadro 4000 GPU

Intel i7 990X CPU

Before the new RAID card I was running two 300GB Velociraptors in RAID 0 (mobo RAID) as my "everything" drive.  I had the OS, programs, files, renders, everything.  I learned on this forum that that is a terrible set-up, but it performed well and never gave me any problems.

Then I got the new Areca card, now I'm running a single WD Caviar Black drive as my C:, two 300GB Velociraptors in RAID 0 as my media drive, and two 450GB Velociraptors in RAID 0 as my render drive (don't freak out, I regularly back everything up to a RAID 1 NAS).

Since the upgrade, my programs freeze up and crash far more frequently, and and I constantly get warnings that my computer is low on memory.  This never happened before.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Why does my new RAID card hurt performance?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Since you used to have a single volume for 'everything', did you change any Windows settings in the new installation? Things like:

• Turning off indexing and compression on all of your volumes.
          • Removing Hyberfil.sys and turning hybernation off.
          • Moving your static pagefile to the smaller raid0.
          • Changing environment variables to point to the smaller raid0.
          • Have you turned off unneeded services following the BlackViper list.

and in PR did you change the media cache and preview location to one of the raids.