7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2012 11:07 AM by the_wine_snob

Stripping out audio track in PE 8

blazon1

I did a search for this topic but could not find an answer, although I have to believe it has been covered at some point.  But I am running Premire Elements 8 and would like to strip out the audio tracks from the videos so others can make use of the audio.  How do I do this?  I can see that I can unlink the audio from the video, but I'm not seeing how I actually take the video out of PE 8 so I can use it as an MP3 file.

Also, I'm assuming that, even though I "strip "out this track, it is really still there with the video.  Is this correct?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Stripping out audio track in PE 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The easiest way is to right-click on each clip (or group of selected clips) on your timeline and select Remove Audio.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stripping out audio track in PE 8
            blazon1 Level 1

OK, sounds easy enough.  Then what do I do?  Do I save them to a folder after doing that?

• 3. Re: Stripping out audio track in PE 8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

To produce an Audio-only file from your Timeline, you would Share those to ideally PCM/WAV, with Export Video unchecked. I never had PrE 8, so you might need to check me out on all of this:

1. Go to the Share Tab, and choose Personal Computer
              2. Choose MS AVI (Not DV AVI)
              3. In the Options dialog, uncheck Export Video - leave Export Audio checked
              4. Decision time - do you want the entire Timeline's Audio, or only parts of it, in separate files? For the former, leave Range on Entire Timeline. If the latter, then adjust the WAB (Work Area Bar) over what you want, and choose Range: Work Area Bar. Repeat that process for every individual section of Audio that you need.
              5. In Audio (far left of that dialog box), check that the settings are: 48KHz 16-bit with Compressor set to Uncompressed. This will result in a high-fidelity PCM/WAV file.
              6. Do not recall if PrE 8 had added the MP3 Compression CODEC, but check. I like PCM/WAV for high-fidelity, and dislike the MP3 Compression, BUT that does result in a smaller file. They just do not sound as good.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Stripping out audio track in PE 8
                blazon1 Level 1

OK, thank you for the answers.  I will have to check this a bit later on.

• 5. Re: Stripping out audio track in PE 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are not familiar with the WAB, then this ARTICLE will be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Stripping out audio track in PE 8
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

It was once easier, but as of PrE 7, essentially all Export Options were moved to the Share Tab. Once, under the File>Export from the Toolbar, one had Export Audio. However, it is only a very few extra steps now - all rather simple clicks.

Note: in the Share Tab, be sure to look carefully at the scroll bars, when you go to Personal Computer. They do not stand out, and you will likely have to scroll, to see the MS AVI option.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Stripping out audio track in PE 8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Blazon,

How did things go?

If you were able to do, what you needed to do, and if you have a moment, you might want to mark the thread as Answered, and also use the "Was this Helpful Yes - No?" where you found good replies. That will help others, who visit the thread later, and will help Adobe do a better job with the forums.

Good luck,

Hunt