28 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 3:12 PM by kennyg1950

Cannot convert RAW files with DNG

Espielle

I have downloaded the latest version of Adobe DNG converter for Mac and have dropped a Folder containing RAW canon Powershot G12 files onto the DNG icon and the converter says "cannot parse the files" what can I do? My v

I have downloaded the Adobe DNG converter to my Mac OSX 10.4.11 and have tried opening RAW

files from my Canon Powershot G12 and EOS 550D SLR and the converter will not read the files. I have learned from other posts about dropping the folder into the icon but when I do the notice comes up "cannot parse the file." Any ideas out there?

• 1. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I know very little about Canon cameras.  Does your camera shoot the s-raw format?  Did you use that option?  I believe the DNG converter has trouble with that format.

• 2. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
            Espielle Level 1

I don't think my two Canon cameras use s-raw format. There doesn't seem to be that option in the menu. Both cameras were in the Adobe list of cameras supported by that version of DNG converter.I

have now downloaded the 5.6 version for Mac.  I firstly tried the 7.1 version and I couldn't even get the options window to open. With the 5.6 version it selects the folder ok. but then the files are shown

in grey instead of black which means they cannot be read.

• 3. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
              Level 5

Don't panic, Espielle.  Everything is working as expected. 

Let me explain:

When you launch the DNG Converter first, it works on Folders not on individual files, that's why the individual files are grayed out.  Just point the DNG Converter to the Folder itself, and all files inside of it will be converted.

Conversely, if you want to drag and drop stuff onto the application icon, drop individual files on to it, not folders.  It's the opposite. 

• 4. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                Level 5

Added the glyph to my previous post to stress this is true of the DNG Converter on the Macintosh only.

  Of course, Windows users won't even see the apple glyph.   

• 5. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                  Espielle Level 1

Hi Station_two     Thanks for your idea, I have just tried it but with no success. when I drag the image file on to the DNG icon it opens the options window but tells me, when I try to convert,

that it doesn't contain any supported RAW files. Likewise, when I open the window, choose the Folder, click on it, and the individual files are shown in the selection column, 

they are grey and the converter does not recognise them.     Still flummoxed!    Maybe I should contact Canon and ask them.  What do you think?

• 6. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                    Level 5

Are you actually launching the DNG Converter and do you see this?  DNG_Converter_6_4.png

You are on an older version of the Mac OS X.  Be aware that the current versions of the DNG Converter for Mac require a Mac_Intel machine like a Mac Pro.

If you are on a Power Mac PPC (such as a G5 or earlier Mac), the last version of the DNG Converter that runs on a Power Mac or earlier is 6.4.

If you do have an Intel Mac, then make sure you are running the Adobe DNG Converter 7.1.

• 7. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                      Espielle Level 1

My Mac is Intel core 2 Duo OSX 10.4.11 TIGER  The Converter version I'm using at the moment is DNG 5.6 and that does open with the option window you show. I think my Mac should support DNG 7.1 but when I downloaded that version and double clicked on the icon, no window appeared. Also if I tried to drop a file into the icon nothing happened.

• 8. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                        Level 5

Espielle wrote:

…The Converter version I'm using at the moment is DNG 5.6…

Oy!   Oy!   Oy!     That is hopelessly obsolete!   You should be running the DNG Converter 7.1.

That version 5.6 categorically does NOT support the Canon PowerShot G12 nor the EOS 550D.

The EOS 550D was first supported in versions 5.7 and 6.1.  The PowerShot G12 was first supported in 6.3.

So you need at least the Adobe DNG Converter 6.3, but preferably you should be running 7.1.

No wonder you're having problems! 

Also, be aware that the DNG Converter comes with an installer, and it needs to be installed, not just "downloaded".

Now go and download a fresh copy of 7.1 and INSTALL IT ASAP!

• 9. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                          Level 5

Sorry to sound agitated, but you lied misled us in the very first sentence of your Original Post.

• 10. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                            Espielle Level 1

I am very sorry if I did that, this is the first time I have ever used a forum so I probably will make mistakes. Could you tell me in what respect I misled you.

• 11. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                              Espielle Level 1

Hi station_two,  I just realised what happened was, I wrote the first version of my post (the one in italics) and then decided to word it differently and forgot to delete the original one. Sorry about the ramble.

• 12. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                Level 5

Espielle wrote:

…Could you tell me in what respect I misled you.

Right here:

I have downloaded the latest version of Adobe DNG converter

…then decided to word it differently and forgot to delete the original one…

OK, then.    Hope you're in business with 7.1 now.

• 13. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                  Espielle Level 1

I have downloaded and 'Installed" 7.1 as you suggested but when I drag a file into the icon or double click on the icon I get no response other than a flicker of the join in the Dock. No Options window appears at all.

• 14. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                    Level 5

Espielle wrote:

…but when I drag a file into the icon or double click on the icon I get no response other than a flicker of the join in the Dock…

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. 

Reboot your Mac.  Before launching any application, launch Apple's Disk Utility and Repair Permissions—twice in a row.

Make sure you don't have any vestiges of older versions of the DNG Converter on your machine.

• 15. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                      Level 5

Did you set the DNG Converter to launch in 32-bit mode?  Your old Tiger OS 10.4.11 does not support 64 bits, even though your machine does.

Go to the root level applications folder, in the Finder highlight the DNG Converter application icon, do a Get Info (Command I) and set it to launch in 32 bit mode: 

DNG_Converter_71_getInfo.png

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                        Espielle Level 1

Sorry for late reply, I had to go out. I have rebooted my computer and have checked on 'spotlight' if I have any other versions in the finder hidden. I think I have deleted them all.

I have opened the info window for the DNG Converter and it is the same as your illustration except it only has a tick box for 'Locked' and no box for 'Open in....bit mode'

• 17. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                          Level 7

I'm guessing you're looking at the folder, not the app.

• 18. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                            Espielle Level 1

I believe I am looking at the info on the application, as I go to 'Applications' and highlight the Icon which is a swirling green circle on a white background. And in the window that comes up it says in the box

Adobe DNG converter.app.

• 19. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                              Level 5

OK, upon further reflection, I believe the reason you don't see the "Open in 32-bit mode" box is that under Tiger 10.4.11 the application defaults to 32-bit mode automatically as 10.4.11 does not support 64 bits in the first place. 

Go back to the application icon in the root-level Applications folder and double click on it to launch the DNG Converter.  It should indeed launch and then you can point it to a folder containing your raw files and convert the entire folder in one fell swoop.

If it doesn't work, please let me know.  I love a challenge. 

===

Incidentally, i urge you to upgrade to Photoshop 13 ("CS6") ASAP.  It's worth it just on the strength of ACR 7.1.  You will be leaving a lot of image quality on the table if you convert your raw files in earlier versions of Adobe Camera Raw. 

• 20. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                                Level 5

OFF TOPIC:

Espielle wrote:

…have checked on 'spotlight' if I have any other versions in the finder hidden…

I have the intrusive and utterly useless Spotlight permanently disabled on all my Macs.  Try the free Easy Find or the excellent, shareware Find Any File.  They both find anything and everything, including the gazillion items that Apple has declared off-limits to Spotlight and the Finder's Search function, which uses Spotlight as its search engine.

• 21. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                                  Espielle Level 1

I have already tried launching the DNG Converter by double clicking the icon in the applications window and it won't open. As to upgrading my photoshop CS4 to a newer version

it would mean my firstly upgrading my OS Mac system from Tiger to Snow Leopard or newer which at the moment is not an option for financial reasons. I will look into getting 'Find Any File'

as you are right the spotlight often can't locate a file which I know I have somewhere on the computer.

Thank you for being so patient and determined in your hunt for a solution. I am quite exhausted by all this computer activity and am now going to retire for the night.

• 22. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                                    Level 5

Espielle wrote:

…As to upgrading my photoshop CS4 to a newer version it would mean my firstly upgrading my OS Mac system from Tiger to Snow Leopard or newer which at the moment is not an option for financial reasons…

Currently the upgrade to Snow Leopard (DVD in the box) is $29 US Cy from Apple:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA  Picture 15.png

Contrary to what it says there, that is all you need.  You DO NOT need to upgrade to Leopard first.  You can go straight from Tiger 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard for $29.

CS4 will cease to be upgradeable towards the end of this year, perhaps as early as November of 2012.

The superior rendering in ACR 7.1 is more than worth the cost of the upgrade.  You could even say that converting one irreplaceable raw image is worth the total cost.

===

Try Easy Find first, it's totally free, although Find Any File is indeed faster.

===

Finally if you still can't get DNG Converter 7.1 to launch, then download version 6.4, but nothing earlier than 6.4:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5023

• 23. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                                      Espielle Level 1

8.35am UK time     Thank you for the latest suggestion. I will order Snow Leopard upgrade today, it is £37 in UK, I thought I would have had to buy the full version which is about £600.

I will also download 'Easy Find'. I will let you know the out come as soon as I have a workable version of DNG running.    Once again,  many thanks.

• 24. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                                        Espielle Level 1

Just one more question.  Will I need to back up all my computer files before I do the upgrade?

• 25. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                                          Level 5

All your computer files should always be backed up.  At the very least your data files and your Home folder, but keeping a bootable backup volume is always a good idea.

Many of us keep backups at multiple locations.

Before you do the upgrade to Snow Leopard, go ahead and download the DNG Converter 6.4, it may solve your immediate problem.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5023

• 26. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                                            Espielle Level 1

Today I tried downloading and installing the DNG converter 6.4 and it would not let me as it said I had an earlier version installed. I tried throwing everthing I could find with DNG on it into the trash and tried installing the 6.4 again. It still would not finish the installation. Now I have about six folders with some connection to DNG, the more I delete the more I seem to get. I think I need to get an experienced Mac user to come in and help me sort it out.

• 27. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                                              Espielle Level 1

I have discovered where the rogue files were and have deleted them. And better still I have downloaded the 6.4 Converter, and it WORKS. Thank you!

• 28. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                                                Level 5

Good to hear!  

• 29. Re: Cannot convert RAW files with DNG
                                                                  kennyg1950

I have downloaded the latest DNG and it will not read any of my Canon RAW files. When I select the folder there is nothing there even thought there are RAW and jpeg files. Any ideas please.