5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 9:20 AM by BobLevine

alternating row fill

sindsro6

I am using ID CS3 to make a 90 page document of tables, though I am formating the tables as tabulated text (size: 7 pt; linespace: 8.455 pt). I am attempting to put in a background pattern for each 5 alternating rows that would (ideally) line up under each set of five rows in the document. Any tips on how to accomplish this? I can come close, but after a few pages the background patterns have already drifted down to the middle of a row.

• 1. Re: alternating row fill
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Why didn't you use a table? Try selecting all the text and converting it to a table using the Table>Convert Text to Table command.

Bob

• 2. Re: alternating row fill
            sindsro6 Level 1

Yes, I should have mentioned why I don't use the convert to table option in my CS3. Firstly, it increases the size of the document from 13 MB to over 60 MB (though there is probably a way to get this a bit smaller). Second--though I have not muddled around with the table options for several years--I found it unnecessarily tedious to have to reformat my tables every month when I put in the new data. Back when I did try the table option, there no adequate style sheets. Perhaps the newer versions have them.

So using just tabbed text with a background of alternating filled rows works faster and keeps the file smaller. Just have to figure out a way to get that background fill to fit properly.

• 3. Re: alternating row fill
              sindsro6 Level 1

I forgot to mention that converting to a table and step by step formatting of 120,000 cells takes a bit of time.

• 4. Re: alternating row fill
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How about making two styles (ore perhaps 10, if you need to alterante blocks of 5 rows), one with a paragraph rule and one without? Set the weight of the rule to match the leading, and adjust the offset.

You can set these styles to be the "next" style for each other and you'll be able to set up alternating fills. If you need blocks create additonal styles based on the first one, changing only the style name, and set them to be "next" in sequence so all the styles with rules cascade, then all the styles without, then back.

• 5. Re: alternating row fill
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You could muddle around with custom underlines and alternating paragraph styles but honestly, I’m not buying into your reasoning here.

A table should do exactly what you need and I highly recommend you explore it again.

Bob