9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 4:48 PM by the_wine_snob

White preview panel

levalley Level 1

My Adobe Premiere Elements 10 program was working fine a few months ago.  Now I get a white preview panel while the sound goes on.  If I click on the panel, I get a picture, but the action stops.  If I click the start button, the sound continues, but the picture stays frozen or reverts to a white panel.  Online support people are throwing any old solution at it, and not staying on the line long enough to find out that nothing is solving the problem.  Perhaps related:  Two screens now pop up when I open the program.  The first says an incompatible display driver was detected, and suggests I get the one I already have.  I even reinstalled it, but the messages continue.  I also get a screen asking where various of my files are.  Clicking past both of them opens the program--but with the white preview panel.  There is yet another possibility:  In December, I backed up the current version of my film onto a disc, being careful to NOT save the changes.  Have I messed up things so badly that I need to delete everything and start over with the saved disc version?

• 1. Re: White preview panel
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The "white display," is almost always caused by an obsolete, or corrupted video driver.

What make and model of video card/chip do you have?

What is the number and date of the installed video driver?

Do not trust the OS, or any utility to tell you, if you have the very latest driver version. You need to go to either the mfgr's. Web site, or in the case of Dell, HP, and others, the computer mfgr's. Web site, to download and install the latest driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: White preview panel
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a link in the FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1029357 to a display driver problem with version 9

You might read that article to see if it will help you

• 3. Re: White preview panel
              levalley Level 1

Wrong thread number.  You gave the one for this thread.

• 4. Re: White preview panel
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Oh well http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

But all you have to do is go to the main page for this forum and look on the right

• 5. Re: White preview panel
                  JMJarrige Level 2

As John says, you might test what is presented in this forum on the last 'display driver incompatibility'

questions . The last one is 2 weeks ago, you may search in this forum.

The solution which works in my case ( version 9), is to delete the file BadDrivers.txt, which is located on

C/Programdata/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0/

Every 3 to 6 months, I have the same display driver incompatibility message, I delete this file and things

work fine again.

Bon courage.

• 6. Re: White preview panel
                    levalley Level 1

Yes!  Getting rid of the bad drivers file solved the white screen problem.  (I had read of that solution elsewhere, but the routing led to a different place where there was no such file.)  Unfortunately, what I am seeing now is too jerky for editing, and freezes entirely every few seconds.  Any suggestions on what I should do next?

• 7. Re: White preview panel
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jerky playback, if one has Rendered the Timeline, is usually an indicator that the Source Footage uses a CODEC, like H.264, and the user's CPU just cannot keep up with the required processing. If you have not Rendered your Timeline, just hit Enter/Return, and give the program a little time to process. Test. That will be "as good as it gets."

We see this often, with AVCHD (a flavor of H.264), and user systems with Pentium D's, Duo-Core, and even i3's and i5's. With such footage, there is a need for multiple, fast Cores in the CPU. Some can get by with fast Quad-Cores, but most find i7's, or similar, much better suited for the task.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: White preview panel
                        levalley Level 1

Thank-you, everything is working fine now.  Why does the program come with no instruction manual explaining simple basic things like these?

• 9. Re: White preview panel
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That is great news!

I agree with you about the manual. However, Adobe has been phasing all such documents out, in favor of the on-line Help File, that can be updated instantly, and dynamically. I can see the wisdom in that, but I miss my manuals, and have them going back to PS version 2.5, so that is almost 20 years ago!

For a great book on PrE, I highly recommend Steve Grisetti's Muvipix Guide to PrE 10.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt