18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2012 1:21 PM by BenjaminMarkus

i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?

Travis Rooney

hi guys

i hope you can help.

i have 3 seperate h.264 files (video has been graded and colour corrected) which i want to put on a dvd as one seamless movie.

my friend did the exporting and had to do it in smaller chunks because it kept crashing his computer., the format he used was h.264, now its very important that i can create a dvd movie with these files to be viewed on a standalone dvd player..

how would do i this? most efficient method and preserve  good quality?

• 1. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

H.264 is not a legal format for DVD. You have to use MPEG2-DVD and nothing else.

• 2. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Harm says... import into Premiere Pro and export to a file that is legal for DVD

• 3. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
              Travis Rooney Level 1

hi there

i've exported sucessfully as 1 file to mpeg-dvd format option in premiere as  i wanted..

(i have trial version of cs6 and i am using a macbook air which doesnt have a dvd drive, so i am copying to external drive and using another computer)

however i can't find a burning programme to burn this too that can do it directly? i can only find programmes that need to convert the mpeg file and then will process the burn? is this the right way to do it?

another question i had is...

the original footage was .mpg and was graded colour corrected by my friend who exported the file as .h264. i have then put these h264 files back in the timeline and as exported as mpeg-dvd, is the quality less? than if i had worked with the original .mpg footage??

thanks guys...

• 4. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?

Hmm... I have a computer with a DVD drive so do not have to transfer... but my understanding is that PPro exports MPEG-DVD as "DVD legal" files that SHOULD not need to be transcoded again... at least, that is the case when loading those files into Encore

Since you did not put MAC in your subject title, you will have to wait for a Mac person to read this and give more ideas... I am PC so have no idea how Mac authoring software works with files that are "supposed" to be ready to burn, but are not seen that way by the specific program(s)

If you can't find a program that will accept your already transcoded files without transcoding again, you may want to export from PPro into a "lightly" or "non-" compressed format... for a PC, that is DV AVI (either regular or widescreen, depending on the input video) which, when transcoded by the authoring program, at least will not be a process of transcoding already compressed and transcoded files

But, again, this is from the perspective of a Windows user

• 5. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The trial version does not include Encore, which one would normally use for authoring and burning to DVD, so you are dependent on Nero or similar programs. Every transcode loses quality. Going from MPEG to H.264 to MPEG again causes serious quality loss.

• 6. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                    Travis Rooney Level 1

ok thanks guys, another important factor is the footage i have is 2 and a half hours long...and the file i have exported is 9gb

i want it to fit on a 4.7 disk if i can, i understand there may be issues with quality.

• 7. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                      Travis Rooney Level 1

can i just burn a mpeg-dvd file exported from adobe premiere onto a dvd disk as a data file, will it be playable on a standalone dvd player?

• 9. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?

>playable on a standalone dvd player

Put a commercial DVD in your computer DVD drive... after you cancel autoplay, use Windows Explorer to look at the files & structure on the DVD

You must use authoring software to create that structure and file format to work with a DVD player

OK... now I understand why your authoring software wants to re-transcode... a 9Gig MPEG-DVD file is too large for even a dual layer DVD, so the video must be SQUEEZED (made up term) to fit by re-transcoding at a lower bitrate

Re-transcoding to get down to a single layer DVD may reduce the bitrate below what is playable

You may need to export in parts, and use 2 discs, if you do not want to use a dual layer disc

• 10. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                          BenjaminMarkus Level 4

Unfortunately it will not.  As Harm said, you need to use DVD authoring software such as Adobe Encore, Apple's DVD Studio Pro, Nero, or even iDVD.  If you're on a Mac, usually the best way to export files for DVD usage is to first export out a lossless master, or to batch export out several versions using different codecs.  Lossless formats such as Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Apple ProRes 4444 (aka 4x4), Animation, Uncompressed 8bit, Uncompressed 10bit or Black Magic codecs are good.  Once you have a quicktime in one of those formats you have a lot more freedom.  You can edit it more or you can create other formats from that file.  H.264 is a very bad between codec.  It often looks visually lossless and can be good for a final output but it is actually very lossy not a good codec to reencode into anything else.  In the future you should have your friend export a lossless master.  Then you can do what you want with it.  Also the DVD legal codec is MPEG2-DVD, not mpeg-dvd.  Make sure you didn't export to another kind of MPEG.  This could be the reason you needed to transcode again.

• 11. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

To learn more about what a DVD-Video is, and what it is not, plus what goes into it, take a look at the links in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                              Travis Rooney Level 1

hi there

sorry i meant "mpeg2-dvd" if i have a file exported as this can i burn this directly onto a dvd disk without transcoding? i assumed you could and i would not need to transcode again..

i don't mind using a dual layered disk for this, i would rather have something of decent quality than poor and i would like it on one disk, i'm not sure on what variables i can change or should change in the export settings in premiere to reduce the size so its likely to fit on a dual layered disk?

the only programmes i have on my Mac is adobe premiere cs6 and final cut pro x and also imovie.  but the project has been edited and worked on in adobe premiere..

• 13. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Just the MPEG-2 DV file, alone, will not do it, on most players.

The DVD folder structure, and several other files (IFO, BUP) will need to be added to the VIDEO_TS folder, and the MPEG-2 DV file will then need to be wrapped in the VOB container, and for you, in your example, you will need to span several VOB's. That is what is done in authoring.

Now, you can definitely Export as a 100% DVD-compliant MPEG-2 DV file, and Import that into an authoring program, like Adobe Encore, to do the authoring to DVD, without any Transcoding. You WILL want to explore "Bit Budgeting," and do some reading on that.

In the links, in the article that I listed, you will find a lot if useful info on exactly constitutes a "100% DVD-compliant MPEG-2 DV" file. So long as you follow those guidelines, most DVD authoring programs will Import/Ingest that, and then author, as is required by the DVD-spec.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                                  pheng@applevideo.us

Encore is a great solution and it should have come with PP CS6. It can do more than other software but can take a bit more time to learn than something like Roxio or Nero. Also, if quality is important to you, I would not recommend going over 1 hour on a 4.7 GB disc. You can use Dual Layer discs (DVD-9) to get more space if your drive can burn onto that. If not, you should split your video file into 2.

Encore will automatically choose encoding options for you if you do not tell it. It will also check your build for errors before burning. If you simply want it to play when someone pops it into a DVD player, import the file as "Timeline" in encore and set it as "First Play". Set an "End Action" for the timeline and I believe that is all you would need. Then just click "Build"! =)

Google or YouTube for some decent tutorials.

• 15. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Encore is a great solution and it should have come with PP CS6.

It does, just not in the trial.

• 16. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                                      Travis Rooney Level 1

ok adobe encore seems like the prog i need., is it worth buying for a macbook air which doesnt have a dvd drive ? will i be able to export the files in the size/structure i need and copy to an external drive and burn on a comptuer with dvd drive?

• 17. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

You need to buy PR and you get EN included in the deal. Yes, you can make a folder or image that you can copy to an external disk and use it on another machine.

• 18. Re: i have 3  h.264 files which i want to create a dvd movie with?
                                          BenjaminMarkus Level 4

One thing to be aware of is when you burn a disk image in Encore, you'll end up with a .iso disk image file.  In the past I made the mistake of dragging the .iso file into the  dvd-r folder and burning it from finder.   This made it so it burned as a data DVD that didn't play on my DVD player.  In order to make playable copies of the DVD using the disc image you have to use the apple Disk Utility application located in utilities to burn a playable DVD.  Do this...

1. Open Disk Utility located in / Applications / Utilities /  Disk Utility.
                                          2. Click Burn in  the tool bar at the top of the window and select your Adobe Encore disc image (.iso).

Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 1.02.47 PM.png

3.  Select the Appropriate DVD burning drive and insert your blank disc. Make sure your disc is free of dust and fingerprints before burning to reduce the probability of failure.

Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 1.10.46 PM.png

4. Click Burn to create your DVD disc.

5. Remember to test your disc in several DVD players if possible before burning additional copies.