4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 11:05 AM by Tim Kurkoski

AE PNG export bug?

Navarro Parker Level 3

I thought this bug was squashed a couple versions ago, but it seems to be back.

"Save Frame As…" out as a PNG in After Effects CS6. Open that PNG in Illustrator CS6 and it's ginormous. I have to resave the PNG in Photoshop for Illustrator not to freak out.

• 1. Re: AE PNG export bug?
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Hi Navarro,

Yeah, I remember that problem. Here's the gist of it: when writing PNG files, AE writes a DPI of 1 pixel per meter into the file's metadata. Basically, AE is saying, "DPI? I don't care 'bout no stinkin' DPI. I'm a video application. PIXELS are where it's at, man." (Apparently in my head AE speaks with a New York accent.)

Some applications freak out about this value. Photoshop doesn't. Illustrator does. Flash used to but they fixed it way back in Flash CS4 so that if it sees weird data in the PNG file it just converts it to 72dpi and goes on about its business. I'm guessing that's why you (and I) thought this problem was fixed.

As usual, feel free to file a bug about the problem. Against Illustrator or AE, or better yet both.

• 2. Re: AE PNG export bug?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE doesn't say one pixel per meter, it doesn't put anything in the image tag. The bug is in Illustrator for failing to open an untagged PNG file at 72 PPI.

All other apps default untagged files to 72.

• 3. Re: AE PNG export bug?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Agree. No doubt more of an AI issue.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: AE PNG export bug?
                Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Rick Gerard wrote:

AE doesn't say one pixel per meter, it doesn't put anything in the image tag. The bug is in Illustrator for failing to open an untagged PNG file at 72 PPI.

Rick, I was paraphrasing some of the bug notes. Specifically, the engineer noted, "the unit type is set to meter, but the pixels per unit is set to 1". I haven't verified that myself so I don't know exactly what state the tags are in. It's also possible this behavior has changed in some way in the past 4 years.

In any case, yes, Illustrator should fix it on their side.