9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 11:33 AM by the_wine_snob

just got cornfused

imhal

I did some making of AVI files using PrE 10.   now the  problem starts.  The files i originaly use come from a SD card, as MPEG files.   I set the preset to NTSC Hard Drive 720x480 widescreen.  When I bring the MPEG files in and use one of these for the 1st file in the timeline it works no problem.  If i use one of the AVI files it tells me the preset is wrong and if i let it change it,  it changes to DV widescreen and says its for firewire camcorders.  if i let it change the MPEG files are wrong.  I want to use AVI files for the project.  so where should i set the preset too , NTSC Hard drive or DV ? 

Thanks in advance

Hal

• 1. Re: just got cornfused
          imhal Level 1

some more possible info   seems like if i set the preset to NTSC hard drive , do the conversion to DV-AVI , then open a new project and change the preset  to DV , i can work OK. Is this what I have to do?  Also will this cause a problem with the quaity of the final project when burned to DVD

• 2. Re: just got cornfused
            imhal Level 1

more info ,( maybe i should have included this to begin with)   If i use windows movie maker (thanks Steve and Muvipix Guide) and save as a DV-AVI  i still have to use the DV preset. 

• 3. Re: just got cornfused
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If i use windows movie maker (thanks Steve and Muvipix Guide) and save as a DV-AVI  i still have to use the DV preset.

This is correct.

Now, WMM Live (latest) is limited to ONLY WMV output, which is not an ideal format to edit, and is pretty heavily compressed. Those are good for streaming media, but not so good for editing.

The earlier version(s) of WMM can Export to DV-AVI. Those files are Type I, and not the ultimate, Type II, but usually Import into a DV Project (NTSC, or PAL, depending on where one lives). There is a file size limit to Type I's, but few reach that. There can also be some OOS (Out Of Sync) issues, but that is usually a static OOS, and not a dynamically drifting OOS, so is usually very easy to fix.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: just got cornfused
                imhal Level 1

I have XP and i was able to export as a DV-AVI.  so here is a question , is it better to use Windows Movie maker to get the AVI file or should I use PrE 10 . if i use PrE 10 should I set the preset to NTSC Hard Drive to load the MPEG's and then save to computer as an AVI, then start a new project in PrE 10 using the DV preset and load in only thr AVI files ?

Thank You

• 5. Re: just got cornfused
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This could be a toss-up, but, if PrE will Import your MPEG files into a HDD Camera Project, I would go that route, and then Export/Share to DV-AVI, to be used in an NTSC DV Project, and leave WMM totally out of the mix.

The MPEG compression has already been done, and neither WMM, nor PrE can do anything about that.

If you had WMV files initially, then I would learn to WMM, but only for the WMV files. That is not your case.

We often recommend WMM, if one is unable to Capture from their miniDV tape camera, as it is an alternative. Still, if possible, I would always recommend that Capture be done in PrE - and only look to WMM, when that is not possible for some reason.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: just got cornfused
                    imhal Level 1

Thanks Bill.  My goal is to get everything to AVI, I have a book by Steve Grisette that states thats the best way for PrE 10 to work and I believe in previuos post that has been also said.  So i will use PrE to do this as its impossible to get AVI files directly from my camcorder.   By the way , you and Steve have been very helpful since I got this edition of Premier.  Thank You

Hal

• 7. Re: just got cornfused
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Imhal,

Don't forget, when you state:

i will use PrE to do this as its impossible to get AVI files directly from my camcorder.

If one has a camcorder, that produces Source Files, that PrE can edit natively, and easily, conversion should not be necessary, unless one is trying to edit mixed-sources, or is producing intermediate files, that are roughly edited, and then will be re-edited. Otherwise (so long as the files can be Imported and edited easily), conversion is just an extra step.

You are correct that DV-AVI Type II is the easiest file type/CODEC to edit in either PrE, or PrPro.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: just got cornfused
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Bill does all the heavy lifting here. But I'm glad to hear we're of help, imhal!

• 9. Re: just got cornfused
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yeah, right!

Hunt