3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 6:32 AM by arjun2

changing units before making a document

arjun2 Level 1

While specifying pages size I want the units to be inches or millimetres according to my choice. How can I do it? I know changing units after the document is made but is there a way for a prior setting?

• 1. Re: changing units before making a document
          Scott Falkner Level 5

With no document open go to Preferences, then click on Units & Increments. You can also toggle through available units by pressing Command Option Shift U. There is not much feedback to tell you that you are changing anything, but some panels will change. The Control Panel has a field for the size of corner effects. The units there will change as you toggle through available units using that shortcut.

Here it is with Pixels selected…

Screen shot 2012-06-27 at 1.10.12 AM.PNG

And after one press of Command Option Shift U…

Screen shot 2012-06-27 at 1.10.32 AM.PNG

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: changing units before making a document
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can change the units in in the prefs, but you can also use any unit in any filed in ID that requires units just by specifying which one you are using. So if your rulers (and prefs) are set to inches,  you can still use mm in the setup dialog just by typing the number and mm following it. ID will do the math and show you the value converted to inches or wahtever the current unit selection might be.

1 person found this helpful