6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 1:20 PM by 103720

Dotted lines are showing

First of all, I'm new to Indesign so I'm not an expert, and English is not my native language, so sorry if there are some mistakes in my English.

My question: I have made something in Indesign but when I export it to a pdf, the result shows some lines which I don't want (marked with the red arrows)lijntjes.jpg

In Indesign it also shows that lines but they are blue and I thought these where only guide-lines and would not be visible in the PDF

lijntjes2.jpg

Is there something I did wrong or how can I make sure that those lines do not show in the PDF?

• 1. Re: Dotted lines are showing
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What version of InDesign? What build? What kind of graphic is that? Is it a placed INDD file? What export settings did you use when creating the PDF?

Bob

• 2. Re: Dotted lines are showing
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When you've answered Bob's questions we'll know for sure, but it looks like a transparency flattening artifact called "stitching."

If you look cloesly you'll see the lines in ID are, as you thought, the frame edge, but the lines in the PDF are further from the text along the bottom because they are bounding the area of transparency that is the drop shadow.

• 3. Re: Dotted lines are showing
              103720 Level 1

Hello gentlemen,

it is Indesign CS5.5, build 7.5.

It is no picture, but it's just text whit a shadow.

(What is meant with a 'placed INDD file)?

Export settings:(I have to translate these in English as i don't have an english version)

- Print in high quality

- Compatible Acrobat 4 (PDF1.3)

- Optimise for quick review on the web

- Make labelled PDF

- Export layers: Visible and printable layers

• 4. Re: Dotted lines are showing
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There you have it…stitching.

Why are you using Acrobat 4? Change that to at least 5.

Bob

• 5. Re: Dotted lines are showing
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yup. The drop shadow is a transparency effect, and Acrobat 4 does not support transparency, so it gets flattened and shows the stitching artifact. If this is for a magazine ad or something similar tht will be output on press it should be OK, stitching generally is only visible on screen and in low-resolutuon prints. If you are not required to submit flattened PDF, then Acrobat 5 or higher compatibility will keep the transparency live and eliminate the problem.

• 6. Re: Dotted lines are showing
                    103720 Level 1

Thank you, you all.

I've exported it to a higher Acrobat version and indeed, the lines weren't visible anymore.

Again thank you very much.