2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2012 12:33 AM by FrankB62

Selecting InDesign version in VB script

FrankB62

I am having some difficulty with selecting the proper version of InDesign in my VB scripts.

Usually I use the connection string: CreateObject("InDesign.Application"), which will launch in whatever version is installed.

Now, one of my customers has installed version 6 along side with version 5.5, which means that I have to supply either: CreateObject("InDesign.Application.CS5.5") or CreateObject("InDesign.Application.CS6"), in order to get it to run on the proper version.

What I don't understand is why the script doesn't start within the version of InDesign that it is activated from. If I use the connection string: CreateObject("InDesign.Application"), and I start it from within InDesign version 6 (from the script menu), why does it launch version 5.5 and try to run the script there? Why does it not run inside the InDesign application that launched it?

It quickly becomes a mess to have to modify scripts whenever people install new versions of InDesign, so is there any way to ensure that a VB script is always run within the InDesign application that launched it, regardless of what other versions people might have installed?

• 1. Re: Selecting InDesign version in VB script
          CarlosCanto Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can use WMI to have a peak at all the ID processes.

here I have both CS4 and CS5 running, hopefully only one version should be running at a time, and we can use the ExecutablePath property to get the version (CS4 for instance) from it.

indesignProcess.png

Dim WMI, Col, Ob, S2

Err.Clear
           On Error Resume Next

Set WMI = GetObject("WinMgmts:")

If (Err.number <> 0) Then 
                 MsgBox "Error creating WMI object. Error: " & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
                 WScript.quit
              End If   

'-------------- processes ------------------------------------

Set Col = WMI.ExecQuery( _
              "SELECT * FROM Win32_Process" & _
              " WHERE Name = 'indesign.exe'",,48)

S2 = S2 & " Process Info:" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf

For Each Ob in Col 
              S2 = S2 & "Caption: " & Ob.Caption & vbCrLf
              S2 = S2 & "ExecutablePath: " & Ob.ExecutablePath & vbCrLf
              S2 = S2 & "ProcessID: " & Ob.ProcessID & vbCrLf & "__________________________" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf

Next
                      msgbox S2

Set Col = Nothing
          Set WMI = Nothing

MsgBox "Done."

• 2. Re: Selecting InDesign version in VB script
            FrankB62 Level 1

Actually people can have both version started at the same time, so that is no good. What I want is for the script to be run within the InDesign instance that launched it. As far as I know, this in how it works in JavaScript, so I don't see why the same thing can't be done for VBScript.

Microsoft can figure out how to do it. If you take Mircosoft Words for instance, and make a macro in there, then it doesn't start up another Word instance when you activate the macro. It runs within the same instance of Word. This is what I would like in InDesign too.