6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 3:58 PM by Chris Cox

problem with MOS (Capture One) files and tiffs created from them in CS5.5

caligula1 Level 1

I am having a problem with MOS files and also with tiff files created from them. A client gave me two MOS files by ftp transfer. Neither one would open in PS CS5.5 and I got this message:

When I go to get info about the files I can see that the images were shot on a Leaf Aptus 75(LF6459) large format camera. I told the client that the MOS files wouldn't open for me and he uploaded tiffs to his ftp instead. The tiff files also wouldn't open for me and I got the following message:

I then decided to try to open the MOS files in Capture One so I downloaded a free trial. I am unfamilar with Capture One and had just wanted to make files that had all the raw data so I could open and process them in CS5.5 camera raw which I am more familar with but couldn't figure out how to do this so I converted the files to tiffs which I was then able to open in PS CS5.5. I retouched the images, saved them as tiffs and uploaded them to the client's ftp. He was unable to open them and got these messages:

I then downloaded the same tiff files that I had uploaded for him and they opened in CS5.5. I also tested them on another computer that only has CS3 installed and they opened. To further test the files I ftp transferred the files to a friend who was able to open them in both CS5 and CS6.

I don't know what the problem is exactly and whether the problem is related to ftp transfer or to making tiffs from MOS files. Does anyone have any info or ideas as to what could be causing the problem? Also how can I help my client to open the tiffs that I had uploaded for him? I used lossless compression in making the tiffs, but didn't zip them. One tiff was 240 and the other was 60 MB.

Both the client and I are using macs. I am on a macpro with 10.7.4 installed. CS5.5 and camera raw are up to date. Thanks.

• 1. Re: problem with MOS (Capture One) files and tiffs created from them in CS5.5
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Possibly because of a recent forum software update, your images never showed up, which makes your question kind of hard to follow.

-Noel

• 2. Re: problem with MOS (Capture One) files and tiffs created from them in CS5.5
            caligula1 Level 1

yeah I know. and adobe forums is telling me that I don't have permission to post , that an unexpected error occured  and to contact my system administrator when I try to edit the message with images even though I am logged in. Annoying!

• 3. Re: problem with MOS (Capture One) files and tiffs created from them in CS5.5
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Don't feel bad, I haven't been able to post images during edits either.  It's part of an ongoing frustration with Adobe's inability to get web programming right.

Maybe you want to just post the images in a new reply?

-Noel

• 4. Re: problem with MOS (Capture One) files and tiffs created from them in CS5.5
                Level 7

What do the messages say, exactly?

And if the TIFF files don't open in Photoshop, could you post them somewhere that we could download them and take a look at the files?

• 5. Re: problem with MOS (Capture One) files and tiffs created from them in CS5.5
                  caligula1 Level 1

I am going to try posting my question again. Sorry for the repetition.

I am having a problem with MOS files and also with tiff files created from them. A client gave me two MOS files by ftp transfer. Neither one would open in PS CS5.5 and I got this message:

1.jpg

When I go to get info about the MOS  files I can see that the images were shot on a Leaf Aptus 75(LF6459) large format camera. I told the client that the MOS files wouldn't open for me and he uploaded tiffs to his ftp instead. The tiff files also wouldn't open for me and I got a message about an unexpected end of file error which didn't surprise me as the client had left spaces in the file names. The other tif file which also had spaces in the file name gave me a message "Could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the TIFF file."

I then decided to try to open the MOS files in Capture One so I downloaded a free trial. I am unfamilar with Capture One and had just wanted to make files that preserved all the raw data so I could open and process them in CS5.5 camera raw which I am more familar with but couldn't figure out how to do this so I converted the files to tiffs which I was then able to open in PS CS5.5. I retouched the images, saved them as tiffs and uploaded them to the client's ftp. He was unable to open them and got these messages:

2.jpg

I then downloaded the same tiff files that I had uploaded for him to test them  and they opened in CS5.5. I also tested them on another computer that only has CS3 installed and they opened. To further test the files I ftp transferred the files to a friend who was able to open them in both CS5 and CS6.

I don't know what the problem is exactly and whether the problem is related to ftp transfer or to making tiffs from MOS files. Does anyone have any info or ideas as to what could be causing the problem? Also how can I help my client to open the tiffs that I had uploaded for him? I used lossless compression in making the tiffs, but didn't zip them. One tiff was 240 and the other was 60 MB.

Both the client and I are using macs. I am on a macpro with 10.7.4 installed. CS5.5 and camera raw are up to date. The client is using either CS5 or CS5.5 and I don't know whether his software is up to date. Thanks a lot.

• 6. Re: problem with MOS (Capture One) files and tiffs created from them in CS5.5
                    Level 7

Without examining the files, I don't know.

But I do know that MOS has options at capture time: some can be read by ACR and some cannot (by Leaf's design).

The TIFF files, I need to see and examine.