6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 11:24 AM by Vysoke Tatry

Too Many Activations

ODUGoose

At the request of the support agent I was told to create this post to have my issue resolved, however he cannot grasp the fact that all I will get as a reply is to "open a web case by going to adobe.com/support/digitaleditions to have my activation count reset" which takes you in a support loop bringing you back to these same forums, there is NO OPEN A WEB CASE LISTED ANYWHERE! And adobe wants to charge to talk to us on the phone, despite their support for this product hinges on "opening a web case" which NO ONE CAN DO! I regret buying a eTextbook with the NookStudy now, as I cant open it after getting my computer fix and B&N passes the buck to Adobe, and Adobe REFUSES TO HELP W/O CHARGING!

• 1. Re: Too Many Activations
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Be resolved.  Grit your teeth, get on the phone and badger the support

rep.  They are the only ones who can do the reset - and they can open a web

case for you,,,,

==============

• 2. Re: Too Many Activations
            ODUGoose Level 1

They still refuse to

• 3. Re: Too Many Activations
              Vysoke Tatry

Frustrated, might you know the phone number where a user might plead for a reset or adjustment of the activation count?

It's nowhere to be found on the Digital Editions help page _ http://helpx.adobe.com/contact/index.html   All that that page does is allow one to pick the product, select from a narrow list of possible problems for that product and then, when the one possible, meaningful problem _ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4034661#4034661 _ web page proves useless, one clicks on the only remaining link on the contact page _ "I still need help..." only to be taken here to this forum, where I found this thread.

This problem and its seeming inability of Adobe to address it simply for their users is nonsensical. I tried twice with online chat help, don't ask how I stumbled on that option; it's lost in the mists. In neither case was help forthcoming. Finally, I was told to call back on Monday.

This problem of "too many activations" simply must be common enough that it rates a great, big, red button on the very first page of the support tree.

Here's the deal: My wife and I have four devices _ a desktop PC, a Sony ereader and two tablet PCs. The latest of those tablets is a Nexus 7. Because the Aldiko app doesn't work quite as smoothly with the Nexus 7 as it does with my Asus Transformer TF101, I have been installing and activating (via my Adobe e-mail login and password) and subsequently uninstalling multiple ebook reader apps on the Nexus 7, looking for one that is easy for my wife to use. I've also done a couple of factory resets on the Nexus 7. I ***thought*** that I had been deactivating each ereader  before uninstalling it, but, obviously, somewhere along the line, I failed to do that, perhaps when doing one of the factory resets. In any case, now that I've settled on the Overdrive Media Console app to fetch ebooks from the provincial elibrary for my wife, I discovered that I have "too many activations". It's too bad that you've grabbed the nickname to which too many users feel attached.

Regards,

• 4. Re: Too Many Activations
                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I'm sorry, but I don't know the 'magic' phone number....

What I've observed is that Adobe Tech Support is geared towards certain

products that the user pays for.  Those that are free, like Reader and

Digital Editions, don't seem to be 'on the list' for the offshore folks who

answer the phone.   They have a script, and if your issue isn't addressed

by their script, then they tell you they can't help you.

What might work is to ask to speak to a supervisor or to be transferred to

the US to someone who takes help desk calls.  They 'can' say 'no' to either

request, but that's not good for them.  If they do say 'no', ask for their

name and ID number, so YOU can log the call.  This technique has worked for

me when I've had issues with other companies.

OR - you can explain that Digital Editions activation counts are monitored

by Adobe's computers, and that, when they reach a certain number, Adobe's

computers issue this error message.  Then say that the user can't do

anything more, but that the Help Desk has the responsibility to reset the

counter or to open a ticket to get that done.  If they STILL blow you off,

and it appears that some of them do, try the 'supervisor' route.

Unfortunately, although Adobe employees are on the forum now and then, none

of us here can do anything to fix the issue....

=========

• 5. Re: Too Many Activations
                  Vysoke Tatry Level 1

Hi, again, Frustrated in Arizona...

Sunday, August 19, 2012: After two live chat sessions on Sunday past failed to resolve the issue, with both chatterers saying that they lacked the expertise and that I should try again on Monday, tracked down a 1-866 number for Adobe support. Oh, and by the way, I found that number on Google's Books forum, not on Adobe's web site!

Called Adobe at 12:35 on Monday, August 20. Got to the automated call back feature and requested same.

Adobe called back at 1:09 and immediately put me on a musically enriching hold.

Being an old guy, my kidneys couldn't hold that long, so I lost that call when I danced to the potty.

Called Adobe again, at 1:15 and booked a second call back.

Adobe help guy Paul called back at 1:27 and said that it wasn't difficult at all to reset the activation count.

Unfortunately, before I could give Paul my Adobe ID, Adobe broke the connection.

Called Adobe yet again at 1:33 and requested a third call back.

Adobe returned the call at 1:46. Great!

Not so great: The techie, whose name I never could understand, said that she had no idea of how to reset the count.

"Ah-HAH!", thought I, "here's where I request (demand?) to speak with her supervisor."

Success! I spoke with her supervisor, who assured me that the matter would be resolved in jig time, barely any time at all.

Just in case the connection were to be lost, he took my Adobe ID again and my home phone number.

He said that he was transferring the call to the team in charge of resetting activation counts but that, if the connection were lost, I should not worry, because the problem would be taken care of without any further need for me to be on the line.

The call was dropped, again from the Adobe side. *sigh*

I gave them a couple of hours, just to allow the electrons to wing their way from the call centre to the Adobe server that holds my count.

Nyuh-uh. No such luck. I tried authorizing the ereaer apps with my Adobe ID several more times over the course of the remainder of Monday. No luck at all. Always "Too many activations".

Last night, Tuesday, about 10:00 p.m. local time, an Adobe techie called to say that all was well. I should be able to use my Adobe ID to authorize the ereader apps on the Nexus 7 that I bought for my wife. I had settled on a pair, OverDrive Media Console and Aldiko Premium. Great stuff. I could barely wait.

This morning, unfortunately, we had to wait for the passing of a scheduled power outage at our apartment for some maintenance work by the local power utility.

Right after lunch, however, I dove in, performed a factory reset on the Nexus 7 and re-installed the OverDrive Media Console and Aldiko Premium ereaders.

Of course, you can see where this is headed: When I tried to use my Adobe ID to authorize the device via the ereader apps, they each said: "Too many activations".

In retrospect, I'm glad that I sent a letter of complaint to Shantanu Narayen, the CEO of Adobe on Tuesday.

I'm reminded of a quote by my best buddy in the States, who is a retired electrical engineer and who ran into the same kind of incompetence his entire career:

"I don't know how American business makes a nickel's profit."

It's kind of like the managerial philosophy that I ran up against myself everywhere I worked in industry, too:

"There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.

Cheers,

---

• 6. Re: Too Many Activations
                    Vysoke Tatry Level 1

Finally, success. In a live chat with a techie by the name of Sudarhan, the problem was solved in about two minutes. Actually, it was solved in about four seconds, once Sudarhan was able to digest the description of the problem.

And that is the way it should be for this issue!

For crying out loud, Adobe, I've been chasing this issue since Sunday afternoon and here it is Wednesday afternoon, and the solution was trivial. After having seen so many users of Adobe's Digital Editions DRM system pleading for help on this same problem, one would think that the word might have gotten around.

Look, I'm sure that managers and supervisors at Adobe are like everywhere: They wouldn't think of reading the user forums themselves. So, front line people at Adobe, please make the case to your managers and supervisors that this is a real problem with a trivial solution and that Adobe could get some warm, cozy feelings going with its users if it only would tackle this once and for all.