16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 11:17 AM by Kevin-Monahan

"Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...

RyanPatch Level 1

Hello -  I have been trying to get my project out of Premiere and eventually into DaVinci for grading. An Adobe rep suggested going to SpeedGrade, then saving an XML from there (in order to preserve nested sequences and merged clips).  I have not been able to successfully complete the export to speedgrade process, though - I do the action, and it creates an .ircp file, and a media folder, but no media. There's no status bar that appears in Premiere, and Premiere continues functioning like I never did anything.  Any ideas?  Ryan

• 1. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
          Jim_Simon Level 8

What do you see happening inside of PP when you click Send to Adobe SpeedGrade...?

• 2. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
            shooternz Level 6

Sending to Speedgrade is an exscrutiatingly  long process!

Maybe you did not give it enough time!

FWIW..I would advise you to go the Resolve route if you ever want to finish this project..

My colleagues and I are waiting to see if Adobe can actually sort Speedgrade out and are giving itr a swerve for the time being.

• 3. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
              TresDZ Level 1

Interesting that the AbobeTV clip shows the export (Send to Speed Grade function from PPro) happening just about as fast as an audio clip opens in Audition. Not anything like real life. I get the status bar and it creeps along at glacial speed, if that. Tried to send a 1.5 minutes clip and it looks like it could take all night so it's obviously not of any use. Ridiculous.

• 4. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                ExactImage Level 3

Without at least full round tripping SpeedGrade is totally useless to me, and the fact it doesn't yet support all the native files means transcoding everything first.  I may as well have been using FCP & Resolve.

If Adobe can make Speed Grade a truly integrate member of the suite I'll take another look - until then it's all rather pointless.   I'm not sure why everyone was so excited about it in the first place.

• 5. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Without at least full round tripping SpeedGrade is totally useless to me

Same here.  Speedgrade needs two primary capabilities it doesn't currently have to be truly useful to the masses.

1. The ability to see the PP timeline exactly as it is in PP, including all titles, effects, transitions, AE comps, etc.

2. The ability to send the SG work back into PP for later adjustments.

• 6. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                    shooternz Level 6

I think Adobe should dump SG and simply bring in some Power Windows features to Premiere.

Power Windows are basically garbage mattes with feathering and invert functions anyway.  ( we have been asking for that as long as I can remember).

SG does not offer much more than the CC /Grade functions of Premiere anyway and they are good enough for "the masses" and solves the round trip workflow  and issues (such as Jims).

• 7. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                      ExactImage Level 3

shooternz wrote:

I think Adobe should dump SG and simply bring in some Power Windows features to Premiere.    

Amen.  Although I'm afraid I'm really not a big fan of the built in 3 way and even the curves.  I tend to use Colorista II because I can get a lot of colour corrections & grades from it so easily that just don't appear possible with the Adobe 3 way.  The 3 way seems to really screw things up big time, producing posterized results whereas the same footage run throuh colorista (or Resolve) look awesome.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.  i didn't have this problem in FCP.... but for some reason PP's 3 ay seems..err.... low budget.   It's also 'still' way too complicated to use well, compared to even Colorista II.

OTOH, it's still better than FCP-X's brick.  Wow, that thing is terrible!

• 8. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                        tribes22

I have the same problem,until I change some footage name,seems speed grade does'nt support some characters

hope it helpful for you

• 9. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                          MannyEdwards Level 1

If you're wanting to end up in Davinci Resolve anyway, why not just go directly? I've had great success exporting a Final Cut Pro XML from Premiere and importing that into Resolve 9 Lite (free version).

From Davinci Resolve I render a Final Cut Pro Round Trip, then export an xml.

Back in Premiere, I import the xml from Davinci, which links up to the rendered files.

The nice thing is, when I later need to revise the CC on individual clips, I can just re-render them in Resolve and they update automatically in Premiere!

• 10. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Jim Simon wrote:

Without at least full round tripping SpeedGrade is totally useless to me

Same here.  Speedgrade needs two primary capabilities it doesn't currently have to be truly useful to the masses.

1. The ability to see the PP timeline exactly as it is in PP, including all titles, effects, transitions, AE comps, etc.

I agree. Have you done a feature request for that yet? http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

BTW, I don't use Send to SpeedGrade, as it generates new media based on .dpx files. Usually, I export an EDL and import that into SpeedGrade, which merely links to your original files.
                            More info on that here: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/speedgrade.html#edl_speedgrade

• 11. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Both export methods have their flaws, and neither provides the full capabilities as listed in points 1 and 2.

Yes, I have sent in the Feature Request.

• 12. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                                KGCW Level 1

Come on, do we HAVE to make a feature request for that ?

You (I mean Adobe) purchased Iridas, you included Speedgrade into the CS6 in a hurry, I think you already know better than anyone that it's absolutely not integrated in its current version and that it does completely lack any form of round tripping. You told here and there that Adobe have finite developing capabilities, we happen to also have finite time for feature request that we can't spend requesting each and every basic lacking thing that you can't honestly be unaware of.

Done anyway (for both premiere and speedgrade).

• 13. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                                  needles27 Level 3

I would also add the ability to use Mercury Transmit so you can see your very precise color grade on a calibrated production monitor through an AJA or BM card!  Without this, it is also useless in a professional workflow.  (Feature request submitted)

• 14. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

That's a given, needles.  Adobe needing a 'feature request' to get that done is a lot like Ford needing it's customers telling them cars need engines to be truly useful.  With some things, designers and engineers just need to know that a feature has to be built-in, without waiting for anyone to ask.

• 15. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                                      ExactImage Level 3

< sigh >

Perhaps Adobe need an Apple moment..... where they said at NAB - OK guys - we're working on XYZ and it will be released this year.... then we could all shut up and wait patiently.

Of course, that won't go quite as well when they add "oh and BTW - these missing feautures that would make our products useful - like they should have been all along - oh, yeah, they won't be a free upgrade, we'll trickle them out over the next two or three paid for upgrades so you'll have to keep spending money".

And we're still waiting for the fix for AVCHD that they broke in April/May with CS6.  C'mon Adobe, surely someone is working on that right?  Even though it's a third party codec, some IS chasing them right?   

If we can't get a feature put back (working AVCHD) that was there 'before' a release, what chance of making other stuf work how we all think it should....

</ sigh >

• 16. Re: "Send to SpeedGrade" doesn't... do... anything...
                                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

KGCW wrote:

Come on, do we HAVE to make a feature request for that ?

You (I mean Adobe) purchased Iridas, you included Speedgrade into the CS6 in a hurry, I think you already know better than anyone that it's absolutely not integrated in its current version and that it does completely lack any form of round tripping. You told here and there that Adobe have finite developing capabilities, we happen to also have finite time for feature request that we can't spend requesting each and every basic lacking thing that you can't honestly be unaware of.

Done anyway (for both premiere and speedgrade).

Thanks! Feauture requests are really great for our team to have. As I've said before, the more requests we have, the more likely we'll put the feature in on the next round. If others wish to request this, please be specific as to the level of integration you'd like to see between SpeedGrade, Premiere Pro and other CS apps.