4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2012 11:37 AM by John T Smith

Imported Clips Playing Only Audio, No Video

lovehhi Level 1

I did my usual setting up of a new project in Premiere, browsed to my video folder and I can see all my videos (or a thumbnail of them). If I try to "scrub" over them, I can black with flecks of color. If I select one to play in the Source screen, it shows black and only plays audio.

I'm new to Premiere Pro, I know I haven't changed any settings. The file format I am in importing is Sony's .MTS and it has always played without issue. Any ideas?!?

Premiere-WTH3.jpg

There should be images in those starry like boxes, but they did that when I scrubbed over them.

Premiere-WTH3-box.jpg

• 1. Re: Imported Clips Playing Only Audio, No Video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't really tell from looking at your screen... did you copy the folder from your camera, or just the individual files?

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Imported Clips Playing Only Audio, No Video
            lovehhi Level 1

John,

Thank you for responding. I followed the exact same procedure that I always have.

1) Open SD card in Explorer and copy files over to Original Video folder. (I had tried importing once and it was a mess, so I haven't done it since, but I have NEVER had any issues doing it this way.)

2) Go through vid clips in Bridge and rate them. Vid clips run fine in Bridge.

3) Open Premiere Pro and create new project. I do not select Sequence settings at this time. In Premiere Pro I browse to my Original Videos folder and began going through vid clips, edit and save as .mp4 files.

I can't imagine what I am suddenly doing differently that would cause this issue. As it is, the files I have are all I have as this is an accumulation of several video shoots and the SD card has been reformatted. So I need to work from that place.

What IS happening, is that when I browse to the folder that holds my selected vid clips for editing, the thumbnail shows up, but when I scrub over it, it comes up blank and I can only see black video and hear audio. If I select the clip and look at it in source file, same thing. I can create a Sequence and drag it over to the Timeline and I can see the thumbnail, but nothing else.

• 3. Re: Imported Clips Playing Only Audio, No Video
              lovehhi Level 1

Oh, for gosh sakes, John. In frustration, I closed out of everything and restarted my computer and it all works just fine. Back to my old 80's addage, "When in doubt, power out!"

Thank you for scratching your head a bit on this one. We're back in business, thank the dear Lord!!

• 4. Re: Imported Clips Playing Only Audio, No Video
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>copy files

I do not know the exact video time/length, but my understanding is that works OK if you only film in SHORT segments

If you film in LONG segments, so the file is "broken" by the limitation of the media (4gig ???) then you MUST copy the entire folder from media to hard drive so the "spanned" files work properly

As described in the link I posted in #1 - but, as you said... many things are fixed by a restart