7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2008 12:29 PM by pozmu

Resizing box resizes stroke inconsistently

dbonneville Level 1
      When I resize a box in Fireworks, the stroke weight increases with it. Is there a setting to stop this annoying behavior? If I hit "q" and use the resize handles, it changes the stroke weight. However, if I grab the corner just using the select tool, I can resize at will with no increased stroke weight.
        • 1. Re: Resizing box resizes stroke inconsistently
          Level 7
          dbonneville wrote:
          > When I resize a box in Fireworks, the stroke weight increases with it. Is there
          > a setting to stop this annoying behavior? If I hit "q" and use the resize
          > handles, it changes the stroke weight. However, if I grab the corner just using
          > the select tool, I can resize at will with no increased stroke weight.
          >
          Have you tried converting the graphic to a symbol and applying 9-slice
          scaling?

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
          ---
          See my work on Flickr
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
          • 2. Re: Resizing box resizes stroke inconsistently
            dbonneville Level 1
            I'm in Fireworks 8, though I have CS3 on the PC. I'm on my Mac which is still on 8.

This problem has been around as long as I can remember. I have a particularly box heavy design going on where I'm using the same box over and over and altering the copys as needed (mostly just reducing and enlarging). The stroke weight goes up and down no matter when using "q"...CS3 does this too. I just tried it on the PC.

Move the box, alter the box, reset the stroke weight...over and over. I don't know if it's a feature or a bug. It doesn't change the stroke width immediately, but only after you hit some seemingly arbitrary point when stretching the size up or shrinking it.

I'm not on CS3, so I don't have the option of using the 9 slice scaling. I'm not even sure what it's for...I just need a simple box with a stroke resized with it's stroke left intact!
            • 3. Re: Resizing box resizes stroke inconsistently
              Level 7
              dbonneville wrote:
              > When I resize a box in Fireworks, the stroke weight increases with it. Is there
              > a setting to stop this annoying behavior? If I hit "q" and use the resize
              > handles, it changes the stroke weight. However, if I grab the corner just using
              > the select tool, I can resize at will with no increased stroke weight.
              >
              dbonneville,
              I don't have time to test this right now but, you should be able to
              create a style from the box with the correct stroke. Then create your
              smaller and larger boxes and apply the style.

SKB
              • 4. Re: Resizing box resizes stroke inconsistently
                senocular Level 1
                Use the Info panel's options menu (top right of the panel) to deselect "Scale Attributes". The stroke will then not scale with the box.
                • 5. Re: Resizing box resizes stroke inconsistently
                  dbonneville Level 1
                  Ug! I knew that was in there. I thought I was having a false memory. I found that at one time so I knew there was a solution for this. I found that several versions (any many years) back but had forgotten it, but I hadn't forgotten that it was possible to turn scaling of attributed OFF. Thanks!!! I opened the pallete like you said and all of a sudden remembered it was there. The first time I found it, it was an "ah ha" experience.

I'm doing grid layouts for web pages. The sections of the page have different heights and column counts. So, I have these master elements I use by duplicating and resizing them by height. But every time I altered the height by yea much, the stroke would change.

If it had been a constant change, it wouldn't have been so annoying. But, as it is, because of the nature of the system being pixel-based, you have to scale up to a certain percentage of the original before it triggers increasing, in this case, the stroke thickness to the next pixel level.

For instance, if I take a box and stretch it to 300% of it's size, it will trigger the stroke to increase by 1 pixel. But, if I stretch the box 150% a few times, and eventually end up at 300% of the original over 2-3 steps, the stroke doesn't get bumped up. So, depending on what I was doing, sometimes I'd hit the bump up threshold, sometimes I wouldn't. When you are moving fast and furious in brainstorm mode, the jump in stroke width is like a little imp getting in my way without a clear reason for doing so...

THANKS

Doug
                  • 6. Re: Resizing box resizes stroke inconsistently
                    abeall Level 3
                    Keep in mind that with Scale Attributes off, the following items will not scale:
                    - Strokes (as you know)
                    - Live effects (things like glow size, dropshadow distance)
                    - Fill handles (for gradients and patterns)
                    - Feathered edges

These are all things you might want off at times, and you might want on at times, so it's good to know there is an option to turn it on and off. :)
                    • 7. Re: Resizing box resizes stroke inconsistently
                      pozmu
                      quote:

Originally posted by: abeall
                      Keep in mind that with Scale Attributes off, the following items will not scale:
                      - Fill handles (for gradients and patterns)

Hmm, interesting, my Fireworks book says the same, but I can see that in action... it looks that handle is scaled even when "scale attributes" is off... ???