1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 28, 2012 10:19 PM by pwillener

flash player's broken installer

bob-user

As my primary day-to-day computer, I have an excellent 64-bit Win7 machine. I use two outstanding 64-bit browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and Firefox (aka, Waterfox) 13. My experience with this system and these browsers is generally excellent. There is, however, one (and solely one) big exception, that being my experience with Adobe products. Fortunately for me, I am able to limit my exposure to your products, and, indeed, I am earnestly attentive to opportunities to eliminate any dependence on Adobe products altogether.

Just today, for instance, when I downloaded and installed the 64-bit Flash Player in FF13 (i.e., version 11.3.300.262 - Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300), it failed to remove the older reference to Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.235 in this same browser. So I ended up, apparently, with two fully functional versions in it until I manually disabled the older one.  It sure would be swell if I could also remove it from there too, don't you think? That way it would not be such an eye-sore and irritation to my otherwise perfect system.

Looking around this so-called 'support' site (for lack of a better term) failed to yield any results or even any hint of how to fix it. Unfortunately, some things just can't be swept under a rug very easily.

Incidentally, your haphazardly designed installation program also installed the Google toolbar during installation WITHOUT asking permission. I have since uninstalled that intrusive and unnecessary gadget as well.

I alluded to the fact already that there were actually more than one Adobe product that caused me grief. The other one was your Adobe Reader, which I discovered (and reported here less than two months ago) is designed to make a back-door internet connection to one of your servers, and this programmed-in connection cannot be turned off. I learned about it inadvertently when my firewall alerted me.

I was quite pleased when I found another program, a free one too, that in fact does much more than merely to read and to annotate PDF files with a quality every bit as good as your Reader. Therefore, I deleted your program forthwith. I am now using 'Nitro Reader 2' for all my PDF-related activity.

I can assure you that I will eventually find a way to eliminate the need for this uninspired Adobe Flash Player too. When I do, I will be sure to let you know. As it is, it does nothing whatsoever to improve my internet experience.  Tell your marketing manager he is doing an amazing job picking up the slack. Unfortunately, there is only so much you can do when your technical support manager continually drops the ball so badly.  Maybe you need to get out of the Flash Player business altogether since it is quite obviously such a challenge for your team. Good riddance.

• 1. Re: flash player's broken installer
          pwillener Level 8

bob-user wrote:

Just today, for instance, when I downloaded and installed the 64-bit Flash Player in FF13 (i.e., version 11.3.300.262 - Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300), it failed to remove the older reference to Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.235 in this same browser.

That does happen sometimes when the operating system indicates that the module is in use.  It will automatically be deleted during the next Windows restart.

bob-user wrote:

Incidentally, your haphazardly designed installation program also installed the Google toolbar during installation WITHOUT asking permission.

This will not happen if you use the full (or offline) installer that can be downloaded from various places, e.g. http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player- windows.html#main-pars_header and elsewhere on the Adobe website.  This link is published multiple times a day here in the forum.