para 1

para 2

para 3

</k6>

using this grep function

app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = null;

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "(?s)<k6>\r(.+?\r)</k6>";

var myResults = app.activeDocument.findGrep();

while I am executing this script the end of paragraph marker "\r" automatically changed to SPACE( ) in the FIND/CHANGE dialogue box. If i change the space manually to \r in find/change dialogue box it works fine. Why executing from script this changes happen? Any one experienced this before.

Kindly suggest.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Problem with GREP finding
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You mean the input appears to have changed to a space when you check what's in the Find box? That is normal behavior. Since you are using Javascript strings, codes such as "\t" and "\r" are *immediately* translated into their literal characters *before* being processed any further. So you don't write "\r" into the Find dialog, you are writing a literal hard return character. The Find/Change dialog cannot show that character on screen so it displays a space.

You say "if I change it to \r it works fine" -- do you mean that it does *not* work if you leave it that way? Because it should work just fine. (And you actually can have a little fun by inserting all kinds of 'special' characters literally into the Find dialog -- try tab or newline.)

But if it bothers you for cosmetic reasons, use "\\r" instead. The double backslash is also a special Javascript string escape and will be replaced (immediately) with a single backslash. Then the string that goes into the Find dialog is "\r", and that's what InDesign is going to translate back to a hard return when it's processing your find string.

• 2. Re: Problem with GREP finding
            csm_phil Level 4

Hi Panda,

The above jongware given breif details about your mistake and clear your probs.

I have modified you code, please try the below JS code.

app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = null;
            app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "(?s)<k6>\\r(.+?\\r)</k6>";
            var myResults = app.activeDocument.findGrep(); 
            app.select(myResults);

thx

csm_phil

1 person found this helpful