7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2008 6:50 PM by Newsgroup_User

Hex?

Level 7
      Is there a method for reading Hex values (and other non-decimal base
      numbers) in Lingo? I mean, I could probably hash together some rough-shod
      method going character by character and saying "A=10", "B=11", etc., but
      it'd be much better if there was some natively-supported method of doing
      this where I could just say hexToDec(someHexVal) or decToHex(someDecVal) and
      have it done automatically. Likewise I imagine a Binary converter could be
      useful, possibly even Alphanumeric hashes, or Octal (does anyone really use
      Octal?). Of course I imagine if there isn't something like this in there
      natively, one of you guys has probably built one by now...

• 1. Re: Hex?
          Chunick Level 3
          If you're using MX2004 then create a javascript moviescript and put this:

function decTohex(d) {return d.toString(16)}

function hexTodec(h) {return parseInt(h,16)}
          • 2. Re: Hex?
            Level 7
            > If you're using MX2004 then create a javascript moviescript and put this:
            >
            > function decTohex(d) {return d.toString(16)}
            >
            > function hexTodec(h) {return parseInt(h,16)}

Hmm. Thanks. Although one of these days I ought to learn Javascript so I
            can understand why that works, because that code makes no sense to me. Is
            the "16" in here just the desired base? Like, could I set it to 36 for an
            alphanumeric hash, 2 for binary, 8 for octal, etc.? (And theoretically
            could it be extended to use weird things like base 15, 17, etc.? Not that I
            want to, just curious how this thing actually works...)

• 3. Re: Hex?
              Level 7
              Never mind, answered my own question. Nifty. Funny that it can only be
              done in javascript though. I thought that pretty much everything could be
              done in either language, depending on which you were most comfortable with.
              This is the first time I've found something that Lingo won't do for some
              reason...

• 4. Re: Hex?
                Chunick Level 3
                I just thought it's much easier doing it in javascript than in Lingo... so if you have MX2004 then 2 lines is a no-brainer... here's the same code in Lingo:

-- snagged (mod'ed a bit) from mediamacros
                on hexTodec hexNum
                hexdigits = ["0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","A","B","C","D","E","F"]
                numstring = 0
                cnt = hexNum.length
                repeat with x = 1 to cnt
                numString = numString * 16
                numString = numString + hexDigits.getOne(hexNum.char[x]) - 1
                end repeat
                return numString
                end

on decTohex input
                hexdigits = ["0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","A","B","C","D","E","F"]
                done = false
                output = ""
                repeat while not done
                remainder = (input mod 16) + 1
                put hexdigits[remainder] before output
                if input < 16 then
                exit repeat
                else
                input = input / 16
                end if
                end repeat
                return output
                end
                • 5. Re: Hex?
                  Level 7
                  >I just thought it's much easier doing it in javascript than in Lingo... so
                  >if
                  > you have MX2004 then 2 lines is a no-brainer... here's the same code in
                  > Lingo:

<snipped code>
                  Ouch, that IS a lot more code.

What I find odd is that the Director compiler (as of MX2004 at least)
                  obviously has access to nifty functions like those one-liner Javascript
                  things, but it's only able to use them in Javascript mode, and can't somehow
                  transfer that capability over to the Lingo side. (The functions even appear
                  in the drop-down lists while in Lingo mode, but it doesn't seem possible to
                  use them.) I mean, doesn't it all get compiled into machine code in the end
                  anyhow? Seems to me that it shouldn't matter what language you code
                  something in, the end result should be essentially the same (especially if
                  they're being compiled by the same program). Makes me wonder how many other
                  hidden features there are that are only accessible in Javascript mode, or if
                  there's any Lingo-only functions as well...

• 6. Re: Hex?
                    Level 7
                    Code is "translated" into something called P-Code when
                    compiled/published, but it still requires a run-time interpreter.
                    Director is, after all, a scripting IDE, not compiled to machine code.
                    Which interpreter executes the compiled code depends on whether it's
                    JavaScript code (the SpiderMonkey engine runs it) or Lingo code (the
                    "usual" lingo engine {IML?} runs it)
                    • 7. Hex?
                      Chunick Level 3
                      what should be allowed is a simple tag or somesuch that can be used to indicate when you're writing javascript so you can write it in the same script member instead of the member(x).scriptSyntax being global.. or the scriptSyntax can still be global and the tag just allows you to have it in the same member for organizational purposes... when it's compiled who cares at that point if the compiler places it separately or what it does with it... for me it would make things much more organized - I don't care if it's Javascript or Lingo; I care if it should be part of the same parent script and that the Javascript version is 1 line of code instead of 14... take, for instance, Javascript's Math, Date and Regular Expression Objects... they're so much more robust than anything Lingo has.

-- lingo code here
                      on someHandler
                      end

[start javascript]

// start javascript here
                      function() {
                      }

[end javascript]

-- continue lingo here
                      on someOtherHandler
                      end