3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2012 6:16 AM by rob day

Suddenly, RGB images appear faded

rhol77

Hi all,

I've been working on a large document for quite a while, importing many RGB photos, which has worked fine. Suddenly, though, new pictures that I'm importing are looking faded on screen. All the old ones are still OK, but the new ones I'm importing with the exact same settings and format look faded. Here's an example:

felet.png

Here, you see the file placed in my main document to the left. To the right, I created a new, blank document and inserted the same picture, and it displays correctly. These are my colour settings:

settings.png

As far as I know, I've changed absolutely nothing anywhere. This just started happening. I've tried trashing preferences; no luck. Any ideas?

This is InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)

• 1. Re: Suddenly, RGB images appear faded
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you select each image what icc profile is listed in the Info panel?

• 2. Re: Suddenly, RGB images appear faded
            rhol77 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. They show up as RGB with the sRGB profile, just like they should. Both the ones that display wrong and the ones that display right.

• 3. Re: Suddenly, RGB images appear faded
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

They show up as RGB with the sRGB profile, just like they should.

If there's any transparency on the page the document's Transparency Blend Space will affect the display. If it is set to CMYK you are seeing the conversion of the sRGB images into the document's CMYK space. Make sure both documents are using the same blend space and their CMYK profies are the same (Edit>Assign Profiles...).

Also, if you turn on Overprint or Separation Preview any RGB objects are displayed in the doc's CMYK space whether there's transparency or not. And if you have Proof Colors turned on the RGB objects preview via the Proof Setup profile and not the document's profile