4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2012 11:02 PM by jazzmel05

Comment / assistance on hdd / ssd setup for new video editing build

jazzmel05

Hi Knowledgeable Forum members,

I've been reading this forum for quite a while and used it as the basis for putting together a new video editing build for my partner who is new to using Adobe, Premiere Pro and CS6.

I specifically need advice / assistance on the HDD / SSD allocation / configuration.

The workstation will mainly be used for video editing but will also serve as our main general purpose pc.

The video editing is for home / hobbyist, not professional purposes.

Most footage will be AVCHD from our Sony HD - HDR-CX550

Main purpose of this request is to ensure optimal allocation of SSD / HDD resources.

System Components selected include:

Motherboard - ASUS P9X79 Deluxe

Processor - Intel 3930k

Memory - 64gb Gksill 1600 8 x 8

Graphics Card - GTX680 2mb

Pioneer Optical Drive

C: Drive - 1 x San Disk SSD 480GB - for Win 7 64bit Pro O/S and Programs

D: Drive - 2 X San Disk SSD 240GB  in RAID0 - for Adobe Scratch File, Cache, Page File, Render Outputs ( Total Space 480gb )

E: Drive - 2 x WD 1 TB HDD Velociraptor in RAID0 - for Projects / Media ( Total Space 2tb )

F: Drive - 1 3TB Seagate - to backup E drive.

As we've never used Adobe before, we are not familiar with size requirements for Adobe Scratch File, Cache, Page File, Render Outputs

Most 2 x 2 RAID0 setups I've seen recommended here have the same size allocation and drive type for both D and E drives. Is the 480gb total space for the D drive SSD RAID 0 adequate and are they being put to best use with the suggested purpose ? I just want to maximise the speed of the SSD RAID0.

Any advice on how to better allocate the space / resources to optimise system performance would be very much appreciated.

Also - any advice on how to best allocate the 6gb 2 Intel SATA3 and 2 Marvell SATA3 connections along with other 3gb SATA2 connections on the motherboard would also be appreciated.

Please note, components have not been purchased yet so feel free to suggest a better configuration.

Thanks Martin.

• 1. Re: Comment / assistance on hdd / ssd setup for new video editing build
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Martin,

Your disk setup in terms of the use of the different volumes is good. However, some remarks:

• The size of your boot disk is overdone. 128 GB is likely more than enough, 256 GB is certainly enough.
          • The choice of SSD's is certainly not my favorite, because it uses the SF controller, which simply means that the claimed write speeds of 520 MB/s are only marketing hype, but in practice will only achieve something like 250 MB/s in the stable state with heavily compressed video material. I think you are better off with Corsair Performance Pro SSD's, which uses the Marvell controller and shows far less performance degradation. For video work and your intended use these Corsair Performance Pro SSD's do better than Intel 520 or Crucial M4. 512 GB ( 2 x 256) is enough for all scratch material, especially since your pagefile can be set to a size of 16 GB. You don't need a bigger size with your memory.
          • You lack sufficient SATA3 ports to accommodate all your drives. I would put the boot SSD on the Intel SATA3 and the two other SSD's on the Marvell controller. By necessity you need to put your Velociraptors on the usual SATA ports and that leaves the remaining SATA3 port for your backup drive.

Have a look at what I'm about to do: Adobe Forums: Planning / building a new system. Part 1

• 2. Re: Comment / assistance on hdd / ssd setup for new video editing build
            jazzmel05 Level 1

Hi Harm,

I appreciate your quick response and thank you very much for your advice.

I take your point re the boot disk, but I'd rather have more than less there as I know I've run out on my laptop's 128gb ssd laptop and don't want to be caught short again

Re the SSD choice - does your recommendation also apply to the boot disk ? The reason I have chosen 240gb San Disk is primarily based on price ( close to $1 per gb at $249, cheapest of all SSD by far - I'm in Australia )

The Corsair Performance Pro 256gb has an advertised read of 515 mb/s and write of 440 mb/s for $409. There is another Corsair 240gb Force Series GT with an advertised read of 555 mb/s and a write speed of 525 mb/s at only $325 which to me seems much better value - I'd be interested in your thoughts on the comparitive price vs. benefits of the above SSD's. I'm happy to pay more if the benefit / value is there.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers Martin.

• 3. Re: Comment / assistance on hdd / ssd setup for new video editing build
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Martin,

I just updated the http://ppbm6.com/Planning.html page to add some considerations to my choice of SSD's. If you move over to the Disks, PSU tab and hover over the disks (Ouch!...) line you can read about my considerations why a SandForce is ill advised. Yes, the Performance Pro is significantly more expensive than the San Disk or the Force GT, but the reason is Marvell versus SF and the stable state degradation.

I take your point re the boot disk, but I'd rather have more than less there as I know I've run out on my laptop's 128gb ssd laptop and don't want to be caught short again

Don't forget that on your laptop everything ends up on the SSD. On this new system, you distribute your data over several drives. Most people, unless they make a mess of things, have sufficient room on the OS disk with 60 GB. One other thing, do you have hibernation on on your laptop? That can easily gobble up 30 GB memory. On your laptop, your page file is located there as well and unless you set it to static, can take huge amount of diskspace as well. On your new system you don't need hibernation and your page file is on another volume.

• 4. Re: Comment / assistance on hdd / ssd setup for new video editing build
                jazzmel05 Level 1

Thanks very much again Harm.

After further research, you have convinced me re the SSD's. I'll go with the 3 x Corsair Performance Pro 256gb ( one for C drive and two for RAID0 D drive ).

I'll post my final hardware configuration for any comment / interest when it is finalised.

Cheers Martin.