5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 1:45 AM by Jeff Arola

CS6 Erodible dry media brushes out of alignment

davidc1815 Level 4

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm a problem I am seeing in using the new erodible dry media brushes in CS6.  The problem is that the boundaries of an image re-created with the Pattern Stamp Tool and a new dry media brush, say the Square Charcoal brush, are just off alignment with  the edges in an outline drawing of the same image made on a layer above using the Glowing Edges filter.  This means that as you paint back with the Square Charcoal brush the image is just shifted a bit to the right when look at through the Glowing Edges (in Multiply blend mode) outline drawing (you need to invert and desaturate the Glowing edges drawing to see a black on white drawing).

This problem gets less noticeable as the size of the erodible dry media brush is decreased and does not seem to happen at all with other Photoshop brushes like a standard Hard Round or Chalk brush.  This problem occurs when the "Aligned" box is selected in the Tool Options bar so a failure to select that option is not the issue.

Are others seeing this and is there a way round it (other than not using the erodible brushes)?  It doesn't seem to matter at what tilt the brushes are held.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: CS6 Erodible dry media brushes out of alignment
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

So far i don't see that, but maybe you could post a screenshot including the brush your using, brush settings and such.

Are you using a tablet and what operating system?

Usually to see the difference between two layers that are supposed to be the same, one would set the layer blending mode to difference.

If the difference between the two layers is black then the alignment should be the same. If you see color when changing to the difference mode then the alignment is off.

added: make sure your viewing the image at 100% view (actual pixels)

Message was edited by: R_Kelly

• 2. Re: CS6 Erodible dry media brushes out of alignment
            davidc1815 Level 4

Thank you.  Here's an example.  The contour drawing is made from the original image with the Glowing Edges filter and the figure has been cloned in using the Pattern Stamp tool and Square Charcoal brush with a pattern made from the same image as the line drawing.  You can see that many edges - particularly upright ones - have been shifted:

cher111jpeg.jpgcher222jpeg.jpg

However, some haven't.  I'm hoping I'm using the brush wrong and it's just a technique issue.  It doesn't seem to be related to the softness/hardness/sharpness of the brush. 

• 3. Re: CS6 Erodible dry media brushes out of alignment
              PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello. I'm wondering if the shift did not occur when you used the filter.

• 4. Re: CS6 Erodible dry media brushes out of alignment
                davidc1815 Level 4

No, I think not.  The Glowing Edges lines are co-terminous with the boundaries of the original image.  Images produced with other standard brushes are also aligned with the filtered outline drawing.  It must have somewthing to do with the way the erodibles combine with the Pattern Stamp Tool.

• 5. Re: CS6 Erodible dry media brushes out of alignment
                  Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Here's what i did as a test on windows 8 x64 photoshop cs6 using a mouse and a tablet:

1. Defined the opened image as a pattern (Edit>Define Pattern)

2. Duplicated the background layer, ran the glowing edges filter, inverted the layer and then Image>Adjustments>Desaturate.

pattern-stamp-3.png

3. Added a new blank layer above, changed the layer blend mode to multiply, chose the pattern stamp tool with the Square Charcoal brush at the default settings except for changing the size to 150 px.

image before:

pattern-stamp-1.jpg

image after using the pattern stamp tool:

pattern-stamp-2.jpg

For me it looks pretty much aligned., but i don't have cs6 on a mac to test.

I also tried with the glowing edges layer on top set multiply and the pattern stamp layer below and got the same results.

Untitled-5.jpg