3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2012 12:04 PM by nsoltz

PPro CS6 + Retina MBPro + External SSD Drive No Go

nsoltz Level 1

Just finished setting up CS6 on my new Retina machine.

I also have assembled a portable storage solution consisting of OWC eSata/USB 3 enclosure + Kingston 128gb SSD. Running this device from a USB3 port on the MBPro (and, by the way, it is screaming-fast).

I have been attempting to create a new project with the external SSD as scratch disk, previews, etc etc-- everything on the SSD.

PPro returns message that the drive is locked or unavailable.

I have been able to use this as a media drive for FCP 7, FCP X and Avid MC6 but no luck with PPro.

I have checked permissions, by the way, on the device and permissions are read/write.

Any ideas?

Ned Soltz

• 1. Re: PPro CS6 + Retina MBPro + External SSD Drive No Go
          beckmanVFX Level 1

I have had this happen with a FW800 drive before as well. It acted as if premission was set to read only, even though that was not the case. Honestly, I wish I could remember what I did to fix it. I believe I just changed drives, which doesn't help you all that much unfortunately. However, it may indicate that a SSD drive is not necessarily the problem.

-btw, how does PPro look on your retina? I heard until they update the software, it may look a little fuzzy. (I picked up a MB pro the other day, but went for the standard due to the backorder.)

-mike

• 2. Re: PPro CS6 + Retina MBPro + External SSD Drive No Go
            nsoltz Level 1

I have not been able to access PPro yet since I did not want media written to my system drive (er... flash memory) and it would not write to my external SSD. And I'm out of the country with no other computer or drive with me.

Other non-retina apps look decent enough and I can't tell a difference. What's impressive is the size and speed of the machine.

Ned

• 3. Re: PPro CS6 + Retina MBPro + External SSD Drive No Go
              nsoltz Level 1

After digging through a number of other forums, found the solution. I needed to clear Premiere's caches. It would then recognize my external drive and write to it. Definitely something Adobe needs to address.

Ned Soltz