0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 12:38 PM by Brett N

FAQ: Will Photoshop Elements work with my camera, or Why won't my raw files open?

Brett N Adobe Employee

What is a raw file?

A raw file is the unprocessed light data that was captured by your camera sensor. The only settings on your camera that apply to this file are aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. This means that any settings you may have applied to the file, such as white balance, or black and white effects, have no effect. Because this sensor data is raw, it must be processed or baked into an actual image file, that's where the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plug-in comes in.

What is Adobe Camera Raw?

ACR interprets the raw data and makes image information out of it. But every camera has a unique sensor and thus has a unique form of raw file. Even though camera manufactures may use the same file extension each time (e.g. Nikon raw files are always .NEF), each camera model has a different way of storing information. Because of this, we must continually update ACR for new cameras. As we add new cameras to the list (over 300 now) we update our published list of supported cameras. Additionally, with the changes to ACR, newer releases will not always be compatible with older versions of Photoshop Elements.

So, will the my raw files work with Photoshop Elements?

So if you are wondering if your camera is supported by ACR or will work in Photoshop Elements, first check this list:

Once you know whether your camera is supported by ACR and by which version, check this list to see whether your version of Photoshop Elements supports that version of ACR or later:

If your version of Photoshop Elements should open raw files from your camera, make sure you have the latest version of ACR installed. Go to Help > Updates to install the latest ACR release.

You can also manually download and install ACR updates:

What if my camera is not compatible with my version of Photoshop Elements?

Supposing you have a camera that came out after the release of a newer version of Photoshop Elements, so that your version of Elements is no longer recieving updates, you have two basic options:

1. Purchase the latest version of Photoshop Elements that supports your camera.
      2. Use the latest version of the free DNG Converter (for Macintosh or Windows)
        • You can convert your files to the universaly compatible DNG format (the files will work with any version of the Camera Raw plug-in). See In depth : Digital Negative (DNG) for more information.

Where are all of the tools and options that I've seen available in tutorial books and videos?

Photoshop Elements has fewer tools and options than it's parent Photoshop. These differences are documented here:

Additional resources

For more inforamtion on Adobe Camera Raw, please check these links: