7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2012 5:17 PM by Andrew Yoole

Has anyone worked with the fire text from Thirdmenson?

BransonBlitzburgh

I have bought this product from him and have been just destroyed trying to use it.

There are literally no instructions with the purchase and I am weak with AE.

Here is the link to his product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B5nWpYi2-Y&feature=fvst

Am really hoping there is someone here that has worked on this before or can guide me on how to change my text.

Thanks, Mike

• 1. Re: Has anyone worked with the fire text from Thirdmenson?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The promo speaks of pre-rendered 3D elements, ergo the way to "change text" would be to rearrange layers based on the footage sources he provides. Anyway, in a world of hundreds of thousand zealot kids trying to make a buck with this stuff on hundreds of sites it's rather unlikely you will find anyone on a neutral forum who can advise. Any questions will probably best be directed to the vendor - even via his YouTube channel, if everything else fails.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Has anyone worked with the fire text from Thirdmenson?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What Mylenium said. This isn't anything more than footage of burning text created in a 3D app. You can use the footage to spell things but you can't change the font. You can adjust the color and the size (make smaller), but that's about all.

• 3. Re: Has anyone worked with the fire text from Thirdmenson?
              BransonBlitzburgh Level 1

Yeah, unfortunately I am coming to the same conclusion.

This is the entire response I received for "instructions"

There are two projects: "fire_text_project" and "fire_text_project_plugin". The first once does not require any plugin because one particle effect is pre-rendred. If you have trapcode particular then you can use the second project and modify it.

Finally you can create a realistic fire text in after effects!
              It took me a week to do the 3d fire simulation and render out all the 26 letters on fire. This is a very realistic fire thats simulated using advanced 3d software. The video is 621 x 720 px and it is 7 seconds long. All the letters has the color video and the black and white (alpha) video. You can use the alpha matte to create a tranpsarent background for the colored video. That's is how it is done in the two example comps included in the project. You will have to understand that the letters are video so it is not as easy as typing the letters using text tool to edit the text. Open the "1st text  Example comp 1" comp and it has marker that explains in detail on how to edit it.

The two included comps are "Example_comp 1" and "Example_comp 2". These are great examples of what you can do with fire text but the possiblity is endless.You can create many interesting comps with these text on fire. Just to let you know the text that is rendered in 3d app is Arial Black.

Think I am going to have no choice but to simply cancel the sale and look for something else.

Thanks for all the input.

Mike

• 4. Re: Has anyone worked with the fire text from Thirdmenson?

It sounds like the first project has some rendered footage with fire effects. The footage should include each letter. You simply break apart the footage layers and use them to create your type. It's no different than having 26 images of the each letter in the alphabet and arranging them to spell words.

You can't change the font, but you should be able to spell anything you want. If that's not what you wanted then you'll have to look for something else. I thought the fire effects were very good. Realistic fire is hard to do and there are no single click plug-in solutions that will do what is represented in the sample video.

What exactly do you want to do? If you need upper and lower case letters and different fonts then this is not the template for you. If you don't understand how to set up different words from the sample comps included in this product then you've got to go to the getting started with AE pages suggested on this forum. You can start Here.

• 5. Re: Has anyone worked with the fire text from Thirdmenson?
                  BransonBlitzburgh Level 1

Yes Rick, you are correct.

Rick Gerard wrote:

You can't change the font, but you should be able to spell anything you want. If that's not what you wanted then you'll have to look for something else. I thought the fire effects were very good. Realistic fire is hard to do and there are no single click plug-in solutions that will do what is represented in the sample video.

That is what drew me into this.

There are a couple of issues here. He presents and sells this as an easy to use premade AE program which most assuredly it is not. I am completely green to AE and just wanted a simple intro movie for my website with 5 lines of text, nothing more without the need to become a journeyman AE artist.

I felt at the minimum it should be able to do this without recreating the entire thing from scratch. Yes, the fire is the best I have seen on the net, but the implementation is terrible, IMO. I work a lot in Photoshop so felt I could at least navigate this to a point. But man.....I have been blown out of the water with this one.

I am going to watch the video you posted (thank you) and see if it is something I want to hassle with. Honestly - I just want 5 piddly little lines. "SEE IT...HEAR IT...LEARN IT..."

yada yada yada

Mike

• 6. Re: Has anyone worked with the fire text from Thirdmenson?

As I said before, once you get the basics down this won't be hard.

Take the rendered alphabet footage and, if you need to cut it up into individual letters.

Put S, E, I, T, H, R, L, and N, in a comp. Duplicate the letters you need to to spell your words, then arrange them in the comp window and the time line. This isn't hard to do when you know the basics. It's a little more time consuming than simply typing the text and animating that, but it is way easier than trying to create the text, apply textures, add fire, and animate. For me, it would be a half hour project to use the pre-rendered burning letters. Building it from scratch could easily take a couple of days of fiddling around.

• 7. Re: Has anyone worked with the fire text from Thirdmenson?
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Rick, it shouldn't be horribly hard to compile and lay out the letters in the order you need them.

If you're using a Mac, Apple's Motion application includes LiveType, which is effectively the same thing: lots of little pre-rendered Quicktime files for each letter.  But Motion allows you to simply type the text in and it does the grunt work of laying the files out for you.  Yet you are still limited to the supplied styles and fonts that are provided.

The files you've bought look more realistic than the burning type in Motion, but Motion would be easier to put the job together, and costs about the same money.