3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2012 5:07 PM by DLLowe

Epson V500 Photo

DLLowe

I bought an Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner and want to install it on my MacBook Pro.  The paperwork that came with the scanner says, "Do not insert your Epson product CD.  Go to Epson support site ...    I did that.  The website infomration said::

The CD packaged with your Epson product contains optional software to enhance your printing and scanning experience.

The optional Epson software is compatible with your new operating system, however, some of the optional non-Epson software may not be. We recommend contacting the software company directly or visit their website, using the links below, for compatibility information before installing their software.

Note: Optional software varies by model.

ABBYY

Adobe Systems Inc.

ArcSoft, Inc.

ColorBurst Systems

EFI, Inc.

LaserSoft Imaging, Inc.

NewSoft, Inc.

Nuance Communications, Inc.

X-Rite, Inc.

I see Adobe on the list.  I have Adobe Photoshop CS6 on my Mac, but it was installed recently.  I have not used it yet. 

May I install the Epson scanner?  Do i need to install the Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 that came with the scanner?

• 1. Re: Epson V500 Photo
          Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

[Moved the thread to Photoshop General Discussion forum]

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Epson V500 Photo
            Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The safest thing to do in these cases is to get the latest software from the website itself, in case it's more recent than the software on the CD. Go to this page:

EPSON Perfection V500 Photo Scanner Drivers & Downloads

There's a long list of software there that claims to be compatible with the latest versions of OS X. Epson isn't very good at telling you which ones are important. You should install them all, but the most important ones are the Scanner Driver and EPSON Scan Utility so that you can do scans (this might also let you scan from inside Photoshop, I'm not sure), and the ICA Scanner Driver v5.3.0 for Image Capture (this lets you scan using the Apple Image Capture utility).

I don't think you have to install Photoshop Elements. The only reason to be concerned about a compatibility issue is if you wanted to scan from inside Photoshop CS6 itself. If you scan using a separate utility, as long as it saves standard formats like TIFF, PSD, or JPEG you will be able to open those scans in Photoshop CS6. So whether or not the scanning software is directly compatible with Photoshop CS6, you can still scan using the Epson or Apple utilities and open the saved scans in Photoshop CS6.

• 3. Re: Epson V500 Photo
              DLLowe Level 1

Thank you.  I installed just the Epson CD and everything seem to be working fine.