2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2012 5:24 PM by Jim_Simon

Why XMP Files on Capture and Export

alexdejesus Level 1

Just curious to know what is the purpose of the 'xmp' and 'xmpses' files that are created when I export from Premiere for DVD encoding.

And I might as well ask the same for the xmp created from captured video files. Are they necessary for editing? Can I put them somewhere else or delete them?

• 1. Re: Why XMP Files on Capture and Export
          shooternz Level 6

From the new user reference:

Media preferences

Indeterminate Media Timebase Specifies the framerate for imported still-image sequences.

Timecode Specifies whether Premiere Pro shows the original timecode imported clips, or assigns new timecode to them, starting at 00:00:00.

Frame Count Specifies whether Premiere Pro assigns a 0, or a 1 to the first frame of an imported clip, or assigns a number by timecode

conversion.

Write XMP ID To Files On Import Check this box to write ID information into XMP metadata fields.

Enable Clip And XMP Metadata Linking Check this box to link clip metadata to XMP metadata, so that changing one changes the other.

Growing Files (CS6) Premiere Pro CS6 supports growing files for OP1A MXF files. The preference allows users to opt whether Premiere

automatically refreshes as they grow, and if so, how frequently. This preference allows you to with these files in your project immediately.

• 2. Re: Why XMP Files on Capture and Export
            Jim_Simon Level 8

They are somewhat necessary.  XMP files contain data about the actual media files, and .xmpses files contain the Chapter Marker information for Encore.