4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2012 3:46 PM by 180sxboosting

Video card to run 2nd and 3rd monitors cs5.5

180sxboosting

Hello all,

I have a powerful system with multiple hard drives that I use to cut HD DSLR footage on in CS5.5.  My GTX 570 runs my 1st monitor and my 9600GT runs the 2nd and 3rd monitors with great success.

1st monitor = timeline

2nd = bins

3rd = full screen preview (Highest quality preview)

The reason I use the gtx 570 to run only the first monitor is because it idles much higher and hotter connected to two monitors.  (Disables the down clocking feature on the card when connected to multiple displays).

Well the 9600gt has died.

I don't want to spend alot of money here but I am not sure what video card I require for my 2nd and 3rd monitors.  Keep in mind the 3rd monitor is the full screen preview.

I know premiere pro uses my 570gtx for the MPE but I have no idea how this effects (if it does at all) my 3rd preview monitor since I have had it plugged into my 9600gt.

There for I am not sure if I can get away with a cheap card like a $50.00 Nvidia GT 610 or do I need something at least equal or greater then my old 9600gt?

Thanks!,

Kieran

• 1. Re: Video card to run 2nd and 3rd monitors cs5.5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Kieran,

Normally I would have suggested to get a GTX 670 and sell your 570, since this solution offers up to 4 monitors to be connected, lesser energy consumption and thus quieter than the 570 and a better performance and only a single card instead of two, but you also said:

I don't want to spend alot of money here

so my initial reaction may be off. Maybe have a look at the GTX 550 Ti. Around € 100.

I don't know what mobo you have, but unless you have a X58 or X79 based mobo, using dual video cards will result in throttling down the speed from 16x to 8x due to lack of PCIe lanes. That means a 10 - 15% performance loss.

• 2. Re: Video card to run 2nd and 3rd monitors cs5.5
            180sxboosting Level 1

Thank you for the reply Harm.  I have an x79 board with a 3930k @ 4.6ghz.

I will take that advice on board.. I might have to fork out a bit of extra money.  Shame I only purchased the 570 gtx a couple of months ago!

Found this card....

Gainward GTX550Ti 1G DDR5 DVI HDMI

Internet Price:    $111.00

Barcode  :   426018336-2050
            GPU  :   GeForce GTX 550 Ti
            GPU Clockspeed  :   900 Mhz
            Memory  :   1024MB GDDR5 192bits
            Memory Clockspeed  :   2050 Mhz
            Pixels per clock (peak)  :   N/A
            Bandwidth  :   98.4 GB/s
            Ramdac  :   400 MHz
            PCI-Express 2.0
            Cooling  :   2-Slot Fan
            Video-Features  :   HDMI
            Connectivity  :   DVI-I + VGA

Would this be sufficient??

Thanks!!

Kieran

• 3. Re: Video card to run 2nd and 3rd monitors cs5.5
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Kieran,

That is common in hardware land. I'm not in a hurry, but I'm waiting for the Ivy Bridge-E, the Areca ARC-2082 PCIe-3.0 controller and possibly the GTX-685 with 384 bit memory bus, to avoid your experience.

That is a good card for your system.

• 4. Re: Video card to run 2nd and 3rd monitors cs5.5
                180sxboosting Level 1

Part of the reason I went with the x79 platform is because of Ivy Bridge-E.  I know I can always upgrade to a 8 core cpu in the future if need be although my 3930k is plenty fast enough for what I do for now.  When rendering out a 20 min timeline with mutiple tracks of vision and audio and many effects I did manage to get 100% cpu usage on all 6 cores along with my 16gb of memory being completely maxed so I guess it was worth it!