9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2012 6:13 PM by the_wine_snob

Trouble opening Premiere Elements project in Premiere Pro

uncle_marty

Hi All,

Just bought Production Premium CS6. I've been working on a project in Premiere Elements 9, and I'd like to continue working on it in the new snazzy Premiere Pro CS6. But when I try to open the project file I get the following error:

"The project could not be loaded, it may be damaged or contain outdated elements."

I can still open the project in PrE, though, and I can even open other PrE projects in PrPro.

I've tried opening autosave versions, but always get the same error.

Any thoughts on what else to try? I really hate the idea of dropping so much money on PrPro and having to continue editing in PrE.

Thanks!

Martin

• 1. Re: Trouble opening Premiere Elements project in Premiere Pro
          Jim_Simon Level 8

These are two different programs.  I wonder if it's just not possible for them to share project files.

• 2. Re: Trouble opening Premiere Elements project in Premiere Pro
            Harm Millaard Level 7

General rule of wisdom: Finish projects in the version you started with. Start new projects in the newest version.

Jim is right BTW.

• 3. Re: Trouble opening Premiere Elements project in Premiere Pro
              the_wine_snob Level 9

So long as the versions of PrE and PrPro are contemporary, the PREL (PrE Project file) should open, or Import, with some caveats:

• There are many 3rd party Effects and Transitions, that are in PrE, that do not exist in PrPro - hence their use can cause issues. An example would be the NewBlue FX Effects/Transitions.
              • There are features in PrE, that do not exist in PrPro, and these can cause problems. An example would be Themes/Instant Movie.
              • PrE has a tiny subset of the Sonic AuthorCore modules (a larger subset makes up the basis of Encore) used for DVD/BD authoring, and if one has done any authoring in PrE, such as Create Menus, or the application of Chapter, or Menu Markers. Those authoring aspects can cause problems.

First, I would attempt to Import (not Open) the PREL into PrPro.

If that does not work, go back into PrE, and check for 3rd party Effect/Transitions, and remove any. Check for Menu or Chapter Markers, or Menus, and remove those. Same for Themes, or Instant Movies - remove all. Try again.

Now, PrE 9 and CS6 are not really contemporary. PrE 9 came out during the run of CS5 (not CS6), and PrE 10 (changes made in the program) is closer to CS5.5, and perhaps CS6. There could well be just enough difference, as to create problems there, and a PrE 9 PREL just might be far enough back, as to preclude CS6 being able to either Open, or Import it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Trouble opening Premiere Elements project in Premiere Pro
                uncle_marty Level 1

Thanks for the responses.

Jim and Harm: actually Hunt is correct: you can open a PrE project in PrPro (and I've done so) -- I was just running into trouble with this particular project. I had only clip markers, one transition, and a handful of keyframes (mostly for audio fades) -- no other effects, themes, etc.

But I got it to work!

I couldn't figure out how to import the project itself, just individual files, so I skipped to the next step.

1. Removed all clip and timeline markers: nope.

2. Removed one (long) audio track (A1): nope.

3. Removed a second audio track (A2): yes!

4. Re-added A2, but without the keyrames for opening/closing fades: yes!

5. Re-added A1, but without the keyrames for opening/closing fades: nope. Huh?

So there seems to be some interaction with keyframes that's causing PrPro to choke when trying to open the PrE project. I've tried a bunch of different combinations of adding/removing keyframes and clip markers, but couldn't find anything consistent.

• 5. Re: Trouble opening Premiere Elements project in Premiere Pro
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Very interesting, and thanks for posting your tests, and their results.

I am surprised about the Audio, and just Volume Keyframes (assuming that is what was done) affecting the Open, or Import. That is something that I would never have considered, but will file away for later - now I have one more caveat.

Can we assume that you were able to Open, or Import that PrE PREL into PrPro, with the changes that you made, and that now things are working, though it seems that you will now need to redo the Volume Keyframes?

If so, that is good news.

Again, appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Trouble opening Premiere Elements project in Premiere Pro
                    uncle_marty Level 1

Yes, it looks like everything seems to be working fine now in PrPro. I've made some minor changes in PrPro, saved, re-opened, all without a hitch. The keyframes were for volume only; I'll have to re-do those, but they were pretty minor so it's not a big deal.

The only odd thing I'm getting now is an error when I open the PrPro project file:

"Video Filter missing:  AE.ADBE ObjectTracking"

I just dismiss it and move on, and it otherwise seems to be behaving normally. It's odd because I never added any video filters, and can't find any effects applied to any clips in PrE. But if that's the only annoyance I have to deal with in order to work on the project in PrPro, I'll take it.

Thanks again,

Martin

• 7. Re: Trouble opening Premiere Elements project in Premiere Pro
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

"Video Filter missing:  AE.ADBE ObjectTracking"

That is one of the Effects, that is not in PrPro. Had you used any of the NewBlue FX Effects, or Transitions, you would likely have gotten a warning message on them too.

The only PrE PREL's, that I have Opened, or Imported, have been very simple, and mostly for testing. However, I inherited several Projects started in Pr 6.5, that had to be Opened, or Imported into a much later version of PrPro. In those, there were a few 3rd party Transitions (do not recall any Effects), and PrPro was kind enough to not only inform me of the missing Transitions, but what their names were, and even the TimeCode, where they were located, so I just made note of those tid-bits, and moved to the specified TimeCode, then add Cross-Dissolves - Done.

Glad that things worked so well, and thanks for reporting.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Trouble opening Premiere Elements project in Premiere Pro
                        uncle_marty Level 1

Yeah, I assumed it was a PrE effect that PrPro didn't have -- I just wish I could figure out where PrPro thinks I applied it so I could get rid of it, like you did with the transitions. Ah, well. Everything from here on out will be in PrPro, so it should just be a minor annoyance for this particular project.

-Martin

• 9. Re: Trouble opening Premiere Elements project in Premiere Pro
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Only speculation on my part, and with my limited experience with PREL's into PrPro, but I would say that with Effects, PrPro has a harder time, getting things sorted out. In my much older Pr Projects, I only had a half-dozen 3rd party Transitions to deal with, and each of those were flagged by PrPro, upon Open.

I cannot think of where that Motion Tracking Effect might have been applied, but if you have any Greenscreen with Motion Tracking, or Track Mattes, that "follow" a subject, I would start looking there.

I also speculate that even with that Effect applied, you will not have any issues, other than that it will not function in PrPro. At least that is what I am hoping.

Good luck,

Hunt