13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2008 8:15 PM by Newsgroup_User

Full Screen in MX2004

Level 7
      Okay, I've found a few of the commands I now need to make a Projector run
      full screen, (grumbles about how it used to be a default option in the
      Projector Settings and why did they have to go and make it difficult now?)
      but I'm obviously missing something. Here's what I've got so far:

on prepareMovie
      _movie.stage.drawRect = rect(0,0,1152,864)
      _movie.stage.rect = rect(-1152,0,0,864)
      _movie.stage.titlebarOptions.visible = FALSE
      _movie.stage.appearanceOptions.border = #none
      _movie.stage.resizable = FALSE
      end

(The movie is to run on a second monitor at 1152x864, the laptop I'm running
      is at 1280x800.) There are still a few problems. First, the movie appears
      at first on the laptop screen and then moves over to the other monitor after
      loading. Second, a border still appears around the movie initially, but
      goes away after going to a different frame. Finally, and most annoyingly,
      the movie doesn't quite reach to the bottom of the screen. There's about a
      20-pixel gap at the bottom through which you can still see desktop, and it
      cuts off the bottom of the movie. What am I missing here?

• 1. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
          Wolfgang Herold Level 2
          try to create the projector with fullscreen option, and disable all titlebar options in the display template tab.

the you don't need following lines

_movie.stage.titlebarOptions.visible = FALSE
          _movie.stage.appearanceOptions.border = #none
          _movie.stage.resizable = FALSE

regards
          Wolfgang

• 2. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
            Level 7
            > try to create the projector with fullscreen option, and disable all
            > titlebar
            > options in the display template tab.

Display template tab? Where is this? All I have are Formats, Projector,
            Files, Shockwave, Html, and Image, and none of them says anything about
            titlebar options. Is this something added in D11 that doesn't exist in
            MX04?

• 3. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
              rafa@mediatech Level 1
              Darrel:
              If you look at your Property inspector window, there is a tab there called Display template. Under this tab you have some title bar options for your project. Formats, Projector, Shock wave, HTML and Image tabs are part of your publish settings.
              • 4. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
                Level 7
                > Display template tab? Where is this? All I have are Formats, Projector,
                > Files, Shockwave, Html, and Image, and none of them says anything about
                > titlebar options. Is this something added in D11 that doesn't exist in
                > MX04?

It's in the Property Inspector. Make your stage window active, ensure
                there are no sprites selected and open the PI. The last of the 3
                available tabs is named Display Template. And it was added for D10

• 5. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
                  Level 7
                  > It's in the Property Inspector. Make your stage window active, ensure
                  > there are no sprites selected and open the PI. The last of the 3 available
                  > tabs is named Display Template. And it was added for D10

Sure, it'd figure they'd hide everything in a completely different location
                  from all the other Projector settings...

Okay, some other related questions -
                  Moveable sprites no longer work at all - they just disappear when you click
                  them. I'm guessing they're jumping offstage somewhere, unaware that the
                  screen size and location has changed. Is there any way to avoid this
                  problem? Or do I have to completely give up using Moveable sprites and code
                  the drag-and-drop stuff manually?

I noticed an option for "Icon" in the Display Template tab - I got all
                  excited because I've always hated how difficult it was to use a custom icon
                  for a Director projector. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work, I still
                  get the same old Director icon for the projector. I guess I still have to
                  use the old technique of changing the icon for projec32.skl before making
                  the projector? That's kind of a disappointment.

Finally, is there a way to control what monitor something displays on? I
                  know I can use the desktopRectList, but it seems I have to hard-code which
                  monitor it uses - e.g. on this computer, it's desktopRectList[2], but on my
                  other computer I'm testing this on, I have to use desktopRectList[1],
                  because they're swapped in position, and if somebody else with only one
                  monitor tries to run this executable, of course it won't work at all if I
                  use [2]. The way most programs do this is that whichever monitor you ran
                  the program from is the one it opens up in, but I don't know of any way to
                  tell Director where the icon was when the user double-clicked it (since this
                  of course happens before the movie even opens, and thus I can't check for
                  stuff like that via script.) Also, using the desktopRectList is a real
                  problem if someone's on a widescreen monitor, because it stretches
                  everything to fit - I'd prefer it to be letterboxed somehow. How do you go
                  about making this sort of thing more universal when you can't predict what
                  kind of monitor setup your users will have?

• 6. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
                    Wolfgang Herold Level 2
                    thanks knights.

Wolfgang
                    • 7. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
                      Level 7
                      > I noticed an option for "Icon" in the Display Template tab - I got all
                      > excited because I've always hated how difficult it was to use a custom icon
                      > for a Director projector. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work, I still
                      > get the same old Director icon for the projector. I guess I still have to
                      > use the old technique of changing the icon for projec32.skl before making
                      > the projector? That's kind of a disappointment.

You need to point it to a "real" icon. On Windows, that's an ICO file
                      and should contain 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48 pixel icons at 4, 8,
                      (16,24,32?) bit depth

> Finally, is there a way to control what monitor something displays on? I
                      > know I can use the desktopRectList, but it seems I have to hard-code which
                      > monitor it uses - e.g. on this computer, it's desktopRectList[2], but on my
                      > other computer I'm testing this on, I have to use desktopRectList[1],
                      > because they're swapped in position, and if somebody else with only one
                      > monitor tries to run this executable, of course it won't work at all if I
                      > use [2]. The way most programs do this is that whichever monitor you ran
                      > the program from is the one it opens up in, but I don't know of any way to
                      > tell Director where the icon was when the user double-clicked it (since this
                      > of course happens before the movie even opens, and thus I can't check for
                      > stuff like that via script.) Also, using the desktopRectList is a real
                      > problem if someone's on a widescreen monitor, because it stretches
                      > everything to fit - I'd prefer it to be letterboxed somehow. How do you go
                      > about making this sort of thing more universal when you can't predict what
                      > kind of monitor setup your users will have?

You can use Buddy API to determine which monitor is the primary one
                      (baMultiDisplayInfo())
                      The rest is up to you, and it's not that difficult. Once you have the
                      rect you want your movie's stage to appear on you can set the
                      window.rect. Then you can determine dimensions (use a function that you
                      can pass a rect to that will give you the (centered) best rect of a
                      particular ratio) and use this to set the window.drawRect
                      • 8. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
                        Level 7
                        > You can use Buddy API to determine which monitor is the primary one
                        > (baMultiDisplayInfo())

Isn't the primary monitor always just the same as desktopRectList[1]? Or
                        can it be determined on the fly based on which monitor the program was run
                        from?

• 9. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
                          Level 7
                          > Isn't the primary monitor always just the same as desktopRectList[1]?

Not necessarily

> Or can it be determined on the fly based on which monitor the program was run
                          > from?

No. But you could try examining the mouseLoc in a #prepareMovie handler
                          and guess which monitor it's on - and hope it didn't move too much
                          before you projector got started
                          • 10. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
                            Chunick Level 3
                            quote:

Originally posted by: rafa@mediatech
                            Darrel:
                            If you look at your Property inspector window, there is a tab there called Display template. Under this tab you have some title bar options for your project. Formats, Projector, Shock wave, HTML and Image tabs are part of your publish settings.
                            It's important to note that the Display Template tab will only show up if you have no sprites selected on the stage.
                            • 11. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
                              Level 7
                              > It's important to note that the Display Template tab will
                              > only show up if you have no sprites selected on the stage.

Yeah, I figured that out - easier said than done on my stage, as there isn't
                              a spare pixel on it that doesn't have a sprite covering it. And for some
                              reason my stage is now not resizable (possibly a result of the code I've
                              been fiddling with?), so I can't click outside the stage to deselect stuff.
                              I have to find an empty spot on the Score instead (Cast doesn't work either,
                              you get member/cast properties instead). But I worked that out. Surprising
                              the way they decided to hide those settings so thoroughly - and so far away
                              from all the other projector settings too.

• 12. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
                                dan_hin Level 1
                                Darrel - not sure that the panel is hidden! after all, if you check the Using Director pdf, it does take you through the steps required to author and publish shockwave movies. Also, the settings you refer to aren't necessarily publish options as they refer to the individual .dir file rather than a compiled .exe. They're also available via the lingo dictionary in the scripting/message window under the "player" or "movie" heading...

just my two pence :)
                                Dan
                                • 13. Re: Full Screen in MX2004
                                  Level 7
                                  > Darrel - not sure that the panel is hidden! after all, if you check the
                                  > Using
                                  > Director pdf, it does take you through the steps required to author and
                                  > publish
                                  > shockwave movies. Also, the settings you refer to aren't necessarily
                                  > publish
                                  > options as they refer to the individual .dir file rather than a compiled
                                  > .exe.
                                  > They're also available via the lingo dictionary in the scripting/message
                                  > window
                                  > under the "player" or "movie" heading...

Well, for us old-timers that have been using Director for years (since
                                  version 4 here), it's a bit unnerving when something you've always been able
                                  to find reliably is no longer anywhere near where you expect it to be. As
                                  an experienced user, I don't think I should have to re-read the entire
                                  manual every time a new version comes out in order to figure out where
                                  everything is.