1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 1, 2012 5:53 AM by Harm Millaard

How should I store my clips?

Richardcavell Level 1

Hi.  My footage is XDCAM EX (35 Megabits per second) in a .mov wrapper.  The footage is about 300 gigs, and will soon surpass the space available on my MacBook Pro's hard disk.  I have an external NAS RAID that will store far more footage, but of course it's much slower than the MacBook Pro's internal hard disk.

When Adobe Premiere Pro "imports" footage, does it convert the footage into MPEG-2 for the purposes of providing a preview when editing?  It seems to be so because I can scrub my video clips within Premiere much better than I can with the raw footage itself.  If that is the case, then why shouldn't it be possible for me to store my raw footage on an external RAID?  Then, the only time that its slowness should count against me is when importing footage, or rendering the final product.

My internal hard disk goes 95 megabytes/second, the external RAID about 10 megabytes/second (wired) or 1.5 megabytes/second (wireless).

Richard

• 1. Re: How should I store my clips?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

When Adobe Premiere Pro "imports" footage, does it convert the footage into MPEG-2 for the purposes of providing a preview when editing?

No. The contents of the SxS card contain the clips in a .MP4 wrapper, no .MOV or anything else. I don't know what you did to convert them to a .MOV wrapper, but that is not the original format. Just copy the complete BPAV directory to your NAS and copy that directory back to your internal hard disk when you need them.

XDCAM-EX is MPEG2 in a .MP4 wrapper, but PR does not change anything in the clips, it is clever enough to recognize the MPEG2 codec within that wrapper and it edits it natively.